Part Fourteen

All the read throughs went well, the directors were pleased, Theo was locked in discussions for an hour afterwards. But Emma was really happy that he was pleased. She was leaving the studio for her last evening in the City - which she intended to spend alone panicking about the following day, when Theo called out to her, running after her at a jog.

                “Thanks for coming out here Emma; it’s been really cool to have you around. As it’s your last night I was thinking I should buy you dinner, you know, as a thank you! I could pick you up? Half seven?” His smile and enthusiasm were infectious, but every inch of her wanted, if not needed the evening to steel herself for the following day. 

Emma groaned, “I promised myself a night in, I’ve got an early flight tomorrow...” He gave her puppy dog eyes, and that world famous smile, and she couldn’t help but agree and as he walked off with a skip in his step, she had the feeling that this was more like a date than anything else. Every other time they’d gone out there had been more than just the two of them, tonight had ‘awkward’ written all over it.

                “Just go and enjoy it!” Isobel assured her later as they battled on the phone, “I know what you’re saying. It’s complicated. But you’re hardly likely to dive into bed with Theo Samuel. I mean it’s dinner Ems, that’s all. A little flirting maybe just what the doctor ordered. If nothing else it’ll take your mind off tomorrow.”

                “It’s all so bloody confusing Iz, I mean you wait all your life for a Hollywood star to ask you out, and it finally happens the night before you have a date with your new yet estranged husband. Who’d have thought it?”

Isobel laughed, “like I always say, a White problem is a crisis! You sure you’re ok to come into school on Wednesday?”

Emma had promised to speak to a school full of eager children on the merits of being an actress. Until fairly recently it hadn’t been the best life for her, but things were definitely looking up professionally. “Of course I am. Shit!” The realisation hit her between the eyes like a bullet, “what if he throws me off the show if I turn him down?”

                “You’re getting hysterical White, go get that bath and take ten deep breaths. It’ll be fine! Text me from the date tomorrow? Let me know how the husband treats you!”

A bath and a cup of tea did little to settle Emma’s nerves, and then she had a text from Jacob telling her his plans for the following day. And it included dinner, at an exclusive restaurant. She groaned, she’d exhausted both her wardrobe and her credit card on this trip. She only had the dress she’d sidelined for tonight, a blue knee length number that Eve, Isobel’s twin had loaned her. So she had the choice, impress her new boss, or save it for her the man she was desperately convincing herself she hated.

In the end it was the potential of being photographed with Theo, the chance that they’d be in an exclusive place too that won through. With a bit of luck it’d still be clean the following evening...or she could try and get it dry cleaned? Then she shook herself, why did she care? She needed to get over this, over him, once and for all.

Either way, she was just ready when Theo called to say he was outside. As she stepped out into the warm evening, she gasped, there was Theo, leaning against a small but very expensive looking sports car, dressed in a tight sweater that managed to make him not look gay, thought on anyone else it probably would, and a pair of black jeans. He looked stunning, and the aviator shades he wore did give a bit of a disguise. Though there was no hiding this man was traffic stopping with his good looks, physique and the presence he commanded when he walked in a room.

                “You look a-mazing!” he announced taking her hand and kissing her cheek. Then he helped her into the car. Emma followed where he led and soon they were whizzing through the streets of the city.