Part Six

“I didn’t think you were that serious about me!” Emma was suddenly nervous. This was all so bizarre, and self consciously she swiped a lock of hair behind her ear.

Jacob’s eyes widened, “I never joke about a beautiful lady! You ARE my lucky omen! I CAN’T win without you!” Sipping his whisky, he watched her struggle to reply to that.

                “Well I happen to be at a loose end,” she finally offered, “but I don’t think I’m that lucky!”

Though the flush of pleasure that swept over her face and neck told him that she was flattered. And that was a good sign in his book.

                “Where’s the bride?” He knew so little about her, but he knew that she was in Vegas with her best friend, a last weekend of freedom type thing, oh and that she had issues with her parents too! Some club to be in, hey?

                “Sleeping off too many tequilas...and vodka...and something strawberry flavoured! She’s not normally so...enthusiastic!” And she wasn’t. Whilst Isobel was great fun, she was a teacher, and common sense nearly always won through. Until this evening.

He laughed, “the perils of a bachelorette!”

Emma shook her head, “a hen party, that’s what WE call it!”

Jacob leaned closer, “so you being English makes you right? Can I just remind you whose country you are in?”

Emma leaned back and gave him a coy smile, “Obama’s last time I checked, and I’m sure he has no objections!” Then moving back towards him she added in a whisper, “and it’s not good etiquette to upset your lucky charm!”

Oooh! Sassy! Jacob grinned; he loved the spice of this girl, “you’re right! A hen party it is!” And he felt a heat shoot through him that wasn’t linked to his anxiety over the coming game. Oh yes, his good luck charm could very easily become TOO much of a distraction. He had to keep a rein on his rather neglected libido!

She didn’t want to seem smug, but there was something very rewarding about winning a verbal battle with a cute stranger. And she’d definitely bossed that one.

                “So what time does your game start?” She changed the subject, wanting to bank a very definitive ‘Emma wins 1-0’ compartment in relation to that last exchange.

He glanced at his watch, “an hour. But I want to take you somewhere first? There’s something I need to show you!”

Emma couldn’t help but hesitate; after all he WAS still a stranger. “Is it far?” When he shook his head, she excused herself for a moment and walked over to Eve and Angelina. “I’m off to be lucky charm for that man there, the one from last night. Will you keep an eye on Isobel until I get back?”

Eve nodded then leaned close, “of course! Have you seen who Caleb brought for me?” She nodded towards a rather unusual looking man who was drinking orange juice through a straw. “NO WAY! I’ll look after Iz, you have fun, okay?! But keep in touch! Stranger danger and all that!”

Laughing Emma turned back to Jacob, and he was now stood a few feet away looking at her with a smile. He cut such a staggering sight in the middle of the glamorous casino in his jeans, t-shirt and a linen blazer, he was the epitome of uncool chic, and with his messy blonde hair and those piercing blue eyes, and the slightest hint of stubble on his square jaw. Then her eyes dropped to his feet, he was wearing brown leather vans. She shouldn’t like this man, for SO many reasons, but even his fashion faux pas appealed to her.

                “Show me the way!”

Laughing he took her hand and tucked it into his elbow then led her out in the reception.