Just Another Fairytale

"Stay with me."

"Please stay."

"Take my hand."

That voice again. I glanced around, hoping the owner of the voice will show up. But aside from me, there was no one in here.

"Stay."

"Who are you?" I asked, feeling foolish talking to no one in particular. "Show yourself."

Moments after I said that, an illuminated figure appeared before me.

"Mae." he murmured, just enough for me to hear. "Stay with me." he begged.

I looked at him, taking in his appearance. His tall physique was clad in an all black garment, his left hand was outstretched as if he was waiting for me to interlace my hand with his. But what bothered me was not his outrageous dark clothes nor his waiting hand, it was his face. I don't know if the light was just playing tricks on my eyes because his face was blurred. I blinked my eyes several times, wishing that my vision will clear.

"Mae."

My breathing hitched, goosebumps rose all over my entire body. His voice was so near as if he was whispering against my ear. That was impossible, right? He was still on the other side of the room but how come I can feel him?

"Mae."

"Mae."

"Mae."

Each time he says my name, he was inching further and further away from me. Something was urging me to grab him. To make him stay. To let him answer my questions. But I was immobile, frozen to my spot. I screamed instead, willing him to stay with me here in this abandoned room but he was heedless to my pleas.

"Stay with me. Don't leave me, Mae. Please."

It was absurd. Shouldn't I be the one asking him not to leave me? I was the one who was left alone.

"Stay, Mae."