Chapter 2

Author's Note: Yehhh, here we go. I have a lot of these chapters pre-written, but once I get to the point where they're not pre-written anymore, I'll let you know, and those of you who are reading can let me know whether or not you want me to continue. You down? Vote, comment, follow, pleaseeeee.

Neon.

Chapter 2

"You can't use her." Once I finally calmed down and started breathing normally, I managed to yell up at Rick to come to the door that led to the stands and then chastised him for having such poor choice in Ghoul dealers. "She's a newborn. She's  not even a week old." I hissed, yanking him by his arm and forcing him to look at her through the tiny window in the door.

She didn't move. She stayed in one spot, blankly staring at nothing in particular.

"Ow! Crazy Cured bitch! Ow!" He complained, rubbing his now bruised forearm. "She's the oldest! Damn it, ow! She's three years old. Check the sores."

Fuming, I stomped into the arena and checked the sore on her hand. He was right. She was three years old, maybe older. But why could I see her irises? Why were they normal and brown? "Regardless, you can't use her, Rick. She's too human."

Rick's face reddened in anger for a moment, but he got over it pretty fast. I was the boss, he was the employee. "She was gonna be my fame, Arie." He sighed.

"Could have been." I agreed, "But until her irises fade away, you can't use her in the ring. It's inhumane."

Rick scoffed but otherwise said nothing.

"I'll take her to Colonel Martine. He'll see what's going on." I informed him, using plastic ties to tie her hands behind her back. "I'll give you news tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience." My apology was generic, forced. It was the standard thing that Inventory Takers were trained to say under this situation. Really, I wasn't sorry at all. This sleazy bastard wasn't sorry when men and women walked into his arena and never came back out. He would tell them he offered the cure, so if they were bitten they'd be okay, but it didn't matter if he offered the cure or not. When a human is bitten in his arena, he leaves them to be eaten alive for the crowd's enjoyment. It was all money to him.

"What about the three-thousand Darrens I paid for that bitch? Who's gonna pay me the money I lost?" He demanded, the vein in his forehead throbbing like a jammed finger.

"Well," I began, my voice thick with apathy, "You'll just have to get even with the guy who sold her to you." I pulled out a notepad from my pocket and scribbled down dates and names in the appropriate boxes. "Here. There's your warrant for apprehending him. Go crazy." I pulled out a different notepad, stamped 'approved' in the status box and crossed off the words, 'Female 5'10" Blonde, Caucasion, Weight 120 lbs'. "All approved but the blond. Here's your copy." I handed him the yellow sheet and grabbed the blond Ghoul firmly by the wrists. "Have a fabulous day." At that, I pushed the red main exit button and waited to be approved. The door opened slowly after the loud beep sounded.

"I shoulda known better than to let a kid boss me around." Rick muttered at my back, kicking dirt up from the ground.

I rolled my eyes and led the blond Ghoul down the dark hallway and towards the light, where Dee was waiting for me.

Her eyes widened at the sight of us. "What the hell?"

"This one wasn't approved. She's too human." I explained, whizzing passed her and steering the Ghoul upwind of Dee so she wouldn't catch a whiff of her smell and go batshit.

"Oh, um. Just a young'un?" Dee asked, obviously trying to sound unbothered by the rabid dead girl walking two feet away from her.

I shook my head no. "She's three years old."