Mistrusted

Renesmee POV

Jacob was still acting funny. I didn't know what it was. I figured it was probably just adjusting to the fact that he's become a father, but now I don't think that's it. After a while, he finally changed the subject. "Will you tell me his name now?" he asked jokingly. I was glad he started acting a little happier. It seemed like he was depressed, all the time, but when I ask him what's wrong he says he's fine. Then he smiles this smile I had only seen when he felt guilty. There's something up, I know it. I asked the rest of the family about it, but they kind of just said no and changed the subject quickly. I got tired of people blowing me off, so I stopped asking. "I've decided to name him Liam. The idea came across me as soon as he was born."

He chuckled. "Why, because he looks like a Liam? He won't always look like this you know—" he said, until he cut himself back. What was he hiding from me? He had that guilty look on his face he has had the whole day again. I changed the subject. "Actually, I named him after your father, William." He looked at me with surprise. "You did?" he asked. I nodded, and he got a bit joyful again. Liam reached his arms out towards him, so I carefully passed him to Jake. He cradled him, but he did not look at him. I didn't understand, was this not what he wanted? Did he think he wanted a child, but not really?

The next week rolled on slowly. Jacob still acted suspicious, but he promised, so I didn't ask him again. I trusted him, didn't I? Liam was doing wonderful, acting like a normal baby. So far we hadn't noticed anything too weird about him. He hates almost every food, so we constantly have to shove it in his mouth. I feel bad, but he has to eat.

While he was asleep, I laid on the couch, with Jacob beside me watching tv. After a little bit I sat up. "Jacob?" I called. He looked at me with his eye brows up. "I want to get Liam baptized." For a moment he didn't speak, he just stared at the floor. Then, he smiled his fake smile that I keep seeing, and scooted closer to me. "That's great!" he exclaimed. I don't think he knows that I'm not as naive as he thinks I am, because it shows in his voice. He obviously doesn't really care what we do with our child, that's what's up. I rolled my eyes and laid back down.

We were getting him baptized the next day. Mom got the time set at grandpa Charlie's old church they used to go to. I think all the girls were ten times as much excited as the boys, because all they did was groan about it. (Except Carlisle of course)

I wore my black sweater dress, and a black belt to go with it. I also wore my white flower headband, and white wedges. I actually put on makeup, which I haven't done in quite a long time. I put Liam in his white gown he had to wear. He seemed satisfied with it, it did look very comfortable. We took mom's car, since it sat the most.

We drove and drove. I hated riding in cars, but since we had the baby it was necessary. I reached to hold Jacob's hand for comfort, but he pulled away. What was his problem? Now he was making me mad. I held my tongue and sat back in my seat.

The church was definitely very old. It was a small t-shaped building, that seemed to be one story. It had a cross on top, but it was very dirty. I saw and smelt humans, walking into the church. They all shook hands and smiled as they walked in. There were people of all ages, but mostly seniors. There were families and couples or sometimes only one person alone. But even if they were alone, every one of them had a real smile on their face. They were happy.

We walked to the entrance and shook hands with the man holding the door open, smiling. "Ah, new company I see? Where might you guys be coming from?" he asked kindly. I opened my mouth to speak, but dad interrupted me. "We're more near the city, actually. We came here to see an old friend who has been very sick you see, and originally we wanted to stay with him, but he practically made us go to church," he said. They both laughed. "Well no one can make you go to church! We choose to follow God!"

Grandpa Carlisle stepped forward. "Yes, yes," he said, chuckling, "but we are also here for this little one." He gestured his hand towards me, and I stepped forward with the baby. "Oh, yes yes yes 'tis a big day for you little man!" he said pointing at Liam's nose. Liam laughed and wiggled in my arms. "Go straight forward and make a left. The first door on the right will be the one." We thanked him, and continued on to the door he said.

There were only two others getting baptized as well. One looked like she was about eight or nine, and the other looked about three or four. They were both from different families, the eight year old with a single mother, and the three year old with both mother and father. I thought of when Liam will grow up, maybe we can get him baptized again.

The instructions were simple, really. The baptizer would hold his nose, and dip him in the water. I hoped Liam wouldn't get violent and start kicking and screaming. That's really all he has been doing when I try to get him to do something. He surprisingly wasn't as bad as I thought when they did the practice round.

I excused myself to the bathroom, but I didn't know it was a single bathroom, and someone was in there. I waited outside the door, and my dad ended up walking past me to get something out of the car. He smirked at me, but I rolled my eyes.

I heard muttering in the door across the hall. I listened, and it was Jacob.

"I can't do this anymore, you don't understand how hard it is."

"We do understand, Jacob. You just need to trust that she will forgive you in the end," said what sounded like Alice.

"When was the last time you had to lie to Jasper for years Alice? Hmm? Exactly. Once she finds out our child is some crazy wolf monster and that I knew it, she will literally kill me. She's already about to now."

I heard enough. I walked away from the door. Are you serious? They all lied to me about my child? This was not happening. My dad walked in shortly after, probably reading my stupid thoughts. But I don't care anymore. He lied to me too. "Nessie—" he said trying to hug me, but I backed away from him. "Get away from me," I said. I went back to the door I was listening to and busted it open. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy, but I don't care. I took Liam from Rosalie's arms. I could hear them trying to talk to me, but I ignored them.

I wasn't going to throw away my baby getting baptized, so I stayed there. I sat in a pew by myself. I knew they were staring at me, I knew they were trying to talk to me. Once my baby got baptized, I took him and thanked all of the church members. I even donated one hundred dollars to the church, just because it really was an amazing church. They were still there, and I still ignored them. There was no way I was riding in the car with them.

"Nessie come on! Get in the car!" I heard over and over. I kept walking. It started to sprinkle. Great. I walked and walked, and startled when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A crush of thunder came and it rained harder. Liam started crying. I turned around, and it was Jacob. "What?!" I asked impatiently. He was the last person I wanted to see. "You can't just walk Ness, come on." I carried Liam tighter. "Watch me," I said.

He continued to follow me. After about five minutes I couldn't take it anymore, so I turned around again. "GO AWAY JACOB! CANT YOU SEE—" Another crack of thunder. "YOU LIED TO ME! ABOUT MY CHILD! THAT IS NOT OKAY JACOB!" The thunder roared louder and the lightning got brighter. He took a step back and sighed. "I'm sorry. I tried to tell them, I really did. I didn't want to do this to you, but it was for your safety."

"Yeah, because that's the reason for everything isn't it? I'm still that little baby you imprinted on. I don't know a thing about protecting myself. I really thought I trusted you. I really did." We stood there for a moment, staring at each other's eyes in the pouring rain. "At least let me take the baby back to the Cullen's," he said. I hadn't realized Liam had been balling all this time. I felt bad. Not for Jacob, for the baby. He needed his father. He needs his father. I gave him the baby. "Get him back safe. And this doesn't mean I forgive you," I said. He nodded and took off, as I stood there, alone as I cried with the sky.