Enterlude

Again, if you do not want spoilers, do not read this story.

Valerie Forrest. 

Anyone who has crossed paths with the young woman at the Magical Congress of the United States of America, or simply MACUSA, headquarters would claim she's an odd girl. For the most part, she kept to herself, working as a secretary for the Keeper of Treasure and Dragots. It was a boring, tedious job. It required no thinking what so ever. She spent her days mostly answering the phone and doing paperwork. 

Valerie wasn't like the other girls who held a position similar to hers. During breaks and lunch, they could be found gossiping and bragging about their lives, while Valerie either remained silent or no where in sight. Not a soul at MACUSA knew a thing about her or her personal life. A side from her name, and the fact she had recently moved to New York City from London. That was evident from her thick English accent. 

It had only been six months since she had left her home country and moved to America. There were two other women who shared the office with her. A short, stocky woman, seemingly around the age of fifty-two, who was named Susan. The other girl wasn't much taller than Susan, but was as thin as a poll. Valerie knew she was twenty because she seemed to mention it every other day. Her name was Beatrice. 

Beatrice found knew ways to get on Valerie's nerves everyday. From her nonstop rambling, frequent phone calls to her friends in the building, and her careless mistakes in paperwork, if you can think of it, Beatrice has done or said it. The only reason she kept her job were her skirts that seemed to shrink more and more with each washing cycle and her ability to flirt with their boss. He kept her around because he enjoyed staring at her ass, a feature that was hardly there, but he some how found it. Susan kept to herself for the most part. Which Valerie was extremely grateful for. She only spoke when Beatrice engaged her in conversation. 

Valerie currently sat at her desk, gazing back and forth between the two woman. She was the boss when their boss was out of office. It was weird considering Susan had been working as a secretary in various departments at MACUSA for nearly thirty years, but apparently she didn't want the extra reasonability. Their boss was currently out of office. Beatrice was heavily concentrating on filing her nails, and Susan was sealing envelopes. Valerie took this time of peace and quiet to reassess her life. 

She couldn't help but wonder what she had done so wrong to end up here. What could she have done differently? Not fall in love would definitely fall number one on that list. Sticking her nose in business that had nothing to do with her would be another. And yet, she had zero regrets, no matter how shitty her dead end office job was. Even though she had to abruptly relocate her entire life, leaving her family and friends behind in London. 

She had no regrets because at least she can honestly say she experienced what it was like to love someone. So much so it almost killed her. Not many people can say they destroyed their entire life for a man. Valerie could. It was one of the million secrets everyone at MACUSA was dying to know about her. 

This chapter is definitely just an introductory. I promise it'll get better. At least in my opinion it will. There's a little trick behind this story. If you really  read into this chapter, you can catch it. If not, it will be revealed in time.