PROLOGUE

I rubbed my cheek against the pillow as my eyes slowly pried themselves from my deep sleep. I didn't want to get up, I wanted to lie there forever. This had turned into a daily occurrence for the past month and a half and it wasn't letting up – not that mornings had ever really been my friend but I was better then this, at least!

My feet dragged across my bamboo fibre rug and I ended up in the bathroom somehow, staring at my pale face as I flipped the water on for the sink.

My teeth first on the list, then my hair, then the agony of needing to dress myself.

Maybe I was depressed?

No, that couldn't be it. Depressed people were weird and that was my only reasoning.

I opened my drawers and found my normal attire of buttoned up executive and half heeled pumps. It was Monday and that meant I had to look decent. Friday was a nice day, it should have been Friday again. Friday meant the weekend and more sleeping.

I huffed and dressed myself, the need for food over took and I was out of the room, heels clicking in tow.

I stopped at my stainless steel fridge and popped it open, looking through my options.

I had a few but none seemed that appealing. I decided to dodge instant breakfast and pick it up instead from the deli on my way to my brand new beamer.

It was lovely and white and not crushed into a tree.

I slammed the door of the fridge and got my purse and work bag in order. Pulling my wool pea-coat on, the buttons I tugged together and groaned. I hadn't been eating that much!

I grumbled in displeasure and left my uptown apartment.

I checked my phone as I rode the elevator down, the emails loaded in from the weekend and my face couldn't stop the displeased crinkle forming across my forehead.

“Shit, are you serious?”

I put the massive cell phone in my jacket pocket and decided to look no more. I wasn't going to open any of them till I was sitting up in the sky rise in my leather swivel.

I got to the deli and waited in line, a guy in front of me turned and smiled a smile I knew well but not well enough to give a crap.

Yeah, don't you see the large RUN sign, idiot?

I wrinkled my nose as I tried to smile and he backed off.

I was going one of those celibate fasts again, it involved wine and no men. It had worked before, why wouldn't it again?

Maybe that was the reason I liked my bed so much lately, my lush practices were catching up.

I was quiet convinced that was in fact the problem.

Starting next week. I would back off one less glass of wine a day.

Sounded like a great plan. The stuff was expensive anyway...

I sighed, it made me sad though, less wine meant more time thinking about...

“Miss Amy!”

Okay, he could stay – cause he made awesome sandwiches, and that, should never be faulted on.

I smiled at him, “Morning, Gerald.”

“How are you?”

“Good, good. Do you want your regular?”

Breakfast regular... I thought it though, “I don't know, don't you have anything with bacon... or maybe sausage!” My mouth started to water.

He paused and looked me over, then burst into a laugh.

I was confused at why he was laughing, I was being serious, “No, really.”

He stopped and stared at me, “Yes, of course but... you...”

I lifted an eyebrow and he got to work making what I wanted, I had that effect on people. I just wished it didn't involve too much scaring away all the time.