Chapter Eleven.

"You know," Janet Frank began, her voice breaking through the sounds of silverware on plates and muffled conversation, "I'm beginning to think this was a horrible choice for a restaurant." Her gray-blue eyes regarded the menu with thinly veiled disgust. "There's simply nothing to eat."

Lauren stifled a yawn from behind her own menu and stole a glance at her watch. She had been at the Guardian set for most of the day and had wanted nothing more than a long, hot bath after work. What she got instead was a reminder from Karen not to miss her scheduled family time.

"It's a shame," Janet continued, "that you had to miss Jan's play. She made a fabulous Juliet."

"The director said I was the best she'd ever seen," Jan added without an ounce of modesty. She pushed light brown curls behind her ear and smiled at Lauren.

"Wow," Lauren said, peering up over the menu to glance at her half-sister. "I'm sorry I missed it."

"Perhaps you could see about getting Jan set up with that agent of yours," Janet said. "I hear he's very good."

"He is." Lauren returned her attention to the menu, hoping the subject would drop on its own. She had seen Jan's acting, and it was certainly not something she planned to endorse.

"I don't want Lauren's agent," Jan said. "I'd rather get my own."

"Well, maybe Lauren's can suggest some people."

"I'll check with him," Lauren said, closing the menu. "So, where did Dad have to run to this time?"

"Paris," Jan said with a sigh. "He was supposed to take me with him, but he got called out on some big 'emergency' during the play."

"He'll take you next time, honey. And you know you have school. Maybe for Christmas we can all go." Janet looked at Lauren. "You are, of course, invited."

"Ah, well, I guess we'll see." Lauren would have rather walked barefoot through a sea of lava. "I'm not sure what my schedule will be."

Jan rolled her eyes. Then she smiled. "So, what's the story with you and Adrian? I heard he dumped you for your assistant."

"Where did you hear that?"

"It's all over the Internet," Jan said, as if it were common knowledge. "Someone at school said she read that you were heartbroken."

"Yeah, well, it's hard to get up in the mornings, but I manage."

"He left you for your assistant?" Janet asked. "I had no idea. That doesn't say a lot about your ability to keep men, Lauren."

"Did he cheat on you?" Jan's eyes lit up at the prospect.

"Ah, no. We were long over before anything happened with Ally."

"That's not what I read. Do you mind if I tell people you're really upset about it? It'll give me something to discuss in homeroom tomorrow."

"Your support is invaluable to me, Jan." Lauren glanced at her watch again. Had it only been half an hour since she'd arrived?

"Do you have your eyes on someone else?" It was Janet who asked. "Because if you don't, Mary Jo Thornton's son is finally single."

"Finally? Was someone counting the days?"

"Oh, he was dating the most dreadful woman," Janet said. "You should have heard the stories Mary Jo told me. The girl was one of those," and here she lowered her voice, "Hispanics. Not only that, but she was their maid's daughter! God, can you imagine?" Janet shook her head. "Anyway, her son's name is Daniel. I'll have him give you a call."