Chapter 4

Hollyfreckle's blood turned to ice. "W-what? H-how is that...possible...." she said, hoping it wasn't true. But Lakestar didn't correct her. She didn't yell, "just pulling your tail!" or anything. She just stood and nodded.

     "But...my siblings. They...are they your kits too?" Hollyfreckle gasped.

     "No," Lakestar mewed. "Lightningstorm and I had one kit, and that was you."

     "But, why tell me now? You could have told me earlier, and then you wouldn't have had to have that secret hanging over your head," Hollyfreckle said angrily.

     "It's because...it's...I can't tell you."

     "What?!"

     "It's...it would break you. You wouldn't understand. You just have...."

     "Tell me!"

     "You have a destiny! A destiny...that I don't completely understand. But it's long and difficult, and...I don't know," Lakestar murmured. "But you can't tell any cat, do you understand?"

     "No! No I don't, Lakestar," Hollyfreckle yelled at her leader. "Because you won't tell me anything! I don't understand anything! I hate you!"

     "Hollyfreckle, wait-" Lakestar mewed.

     But Hollyfreckle stormed out of the den in a furious rush, mad at everyone, Lakestar, Shellflower, Lightningstorm.

. . .

     Hollyfreckle lay in a dream, a dream where she had a mother she knew and could trust. A dream where Lakestar had never been born, and she was not leader. A dream where Hollyfreckle had a mate, and kits, and she and her litter-mates lived forever, together, one happy family.

     Hollyfreckle looked up at her mate, and flinched; her mate had blood on his fangs and a vicious snarl on his face. He attacked Lightningstorm, killed him, then he went and sliced his claws through Shellflower's throat. Hollyfreckle cried out, trying to reach her, but her kit's eyes turned red and they grew to become monstrous beasts, killing monsters. They attacked Hollyfreckle, and she fought them.

     One cat grabbed her by the scruff and tried to choke Hollyfreckle, but she sliced her claws through his neck. What am I doing? She thought. That was my kit!

     But the over-grown kittens surrounded her, digging their claws into Hollyfreckle's pelt. Suddenly, the weight disappeared. Hollyfreckle looked up to see who had saved her, but she saw only Lakestar. Lakestar killed all the monstrous kits with a single swoop of her claws. But as Hollyfreckle watched, a dark tom came up and pierced his claws into Lakestar's back. Before Hollyfreckle could scream, Lakestar fell to the ground, dead. 

     All around her, the cats that Hollyfreckle loved died, one by one. Shellflower, Lightningstorm, Grassfeather, Scorchfoot. All dead. Dead. A single hawk, bright tail feathers spinning, flew down and pecked at Lakestar's cold body. 

     "Get away from her!" Hollyfreckle shrieked, launcing herself at the hawk.

     When it turned, the hawk's eyes were icy blue. They caught Hollyfreckle in a stare.

     "When all is good, after flame and fire, the hawk will signal, a war, a battle. Nothing will be as it ever was before, nothing will breathe like ever it did. Something will come, a Blazing Star, win the war, win the battle."