Level 6 ✦ Submit Game Application

"I thought you said the door wasn't locked!" I exclaimed.

"I thought it wasn't!" Esmond responded.

"Where's the light switch?" I fumbled through the darkness of the room.

"Maybe there isn't one."

"What do you mean there isn't one? You said there was one!" I sounded hysterical. In fact, now that I think about it, I was feeling a little hysterical.

"I'm sorry; I rarely go into this storage room!"

"No, no, no, no!" I whimpered. "I can't be locked in here! I have an application to submit!" I whined. Oh, if only my day could get any worse. Not only was I making a fool out of myself in front of my crush, but I was also freaking out over the fact that I wouldn't be able to turn in my Battle Ground application before the day was over. The deadline's two days from now, but being the kind of person who hated to submit things last minute, I had to turn it in today or else I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. Yes, I know it sounded contradictory given the fact that I was a procrastinator, but when it came to submitting homework or applications and such, I hated being late. Long story short, I procrastinate on things but submit them on time.

"What application?" Esmond asked, curiously.

"It's for a, uh, video game competition," I mumbled, embarrassingly. No need to tell him that I liked to game. It'd probably be a huge turn off for him, if there ever were a chance he liked me back—which I'm probably sure there wasn't. He seemed like the kind to go for girly girls. After all, he was handsome as fuck. I wasn't exactly the greatest looking person on the planet.

"Oh, so you're a gamer?" he asked, fascinatingly.

I gasped. How did he know I was a gamer?

Um, because you basically just told him that you were signing up for a video game competition? my mind supplemented.

Crap, stupid Bridget! You're great at staying undercover. Round of applause, round of applause!

"Y-yeah. But not a hardcore gamer! Pssh, wayyy not hardcore." I tried to sound blasé about it, but I ended up sounding just the opposite.

"Oh. Okay."

"Why? Do you play videogames?" I pressed. My heart sputtered with hope. Maybe I could ask him for his gamertag, be it for the Xbox or PlayStation. Or whichever console! I'd play for him.

"Not anymore. I used to, though, before I graduated from high school. But as a medical student who wants to be a doctor some day, it's not practical anymore. However, my little brother's a huge gamer. I have a younger sister, too, but she's not into videogames at all. She wants to be a fashion designer."

"Oh. Well, that's not really surprising," I said, referring to his sister. Not many girls like video games apparently. But then I suddenly realized how rude that sounded and I quickly opened my mouth to apologize. "I-I mean, nothing wrong about not liking games! That's awesome she wants to be a fashion designer. I wish I had an imagination like that. I can't even pick out the right outfits to wear." I internally cried. I revealed too much about myself. Oh, dear lord.

Esmond chuckled. "You're fine. She plays Mario sometimes."

"Oh, tell me about it!" I said, clasping my hands together. "Any Martio Kart game is my favorite! I also like the Mario games on the 3DS: Mario 3D Land is my absolute fave! I always play it in 3D."

Esmond laughed. "I have to say, I agree with you on the Mario Kart. That was my childhood right there."

My heart fluttered. So we shared something in common. Unable to help it, a huge smile spread across my face, baring teeth and all. Thank goodness it was dark in here. Wouldn't want to give Esmond a fright.