prologue.

bloodlust.

●-●-●-●

The moon shone high as it illuminated the 1967 Chevy Impala parked out front of an old, abandoned church. Inside was a man strapped to a chair with a devils trap, and the two Winchester brothers along with their old friend, Kiara Risch. Sam, the youngest of the two, looked disheveled and like he hadn't slept in weeks.

"Look at him. Look at him! Look how close we are! Other people will die if I don't finish this!" Sam protested to his brother and friend as he wanted to finished the trials. They were close to closing the gates of hell once and for all.

"Think about it. Think about what we know, huh? Pulling souls from hell, curing demons, hell, ganking a Hellhound! We have enough knowledge on our side to turn the tide here. But we can't do it without you," Dean countered.

"You can barely do it with me. I mean, you think I screw up everything I try. You think I need a chaperone, remember?" scoffed Sam.

"Come on, man. That's not what I meant," groaned Dean.

"No, it's exactly what you meant. You want to know what I confessed in there? What my greatest sin was? It was how many times I let you down. I can't do that again," Sam shook his head.

"Sam —" Dean began to speak only to be cut off by Sam again.

"What happens when you two decide I can't be trusted again? I mean, who are you two gonna turn to next time instead of me? Another angel, another -- another vampire?" Sam referenced Benny, the vampire Dean rescued from Purgatory. "Do you have any idea what it feels like to watch your brother just –"

"Hold on, hold on! You seriously think that? Because none of it — none of it — is true. Listen, man, I know we've had our disagreements, okay? Hell, I know I've said some junk that set you back on your heels. But, Sammy. . . come on. I killed Benny to save you. I'm willing to let this bastard and all the sons of bitches that killed mom walk because of you. Don't you dare think that there is anything, past or present, that I would put in front of you! It has never been like that, ever! I need you to see that. I'm begging you," Dean pleaded.

"How do I stop?" Sam asked, squeezing his hand. Blood dropped onto the floor and the orange glow seemed to be brighter before fading away.

"Just let it go," urged Kiara.

"I can't. It's in me, Kiara? You don't know what this feels like. Neither of you do," Sam sighed.

Dean wrapped a bandanna around Sam's hand, "Hey, listen,we will figure it out, okay, just like we always do. Come on," Dean grabbed Sam and pulled him into a tight hug. "Come on. Let it go, okay? Let it go, brother."

The orange glow in Sam's arms started to fade. Sam backed away from Dean and Kiara to look at his arms as the orange glow faded. "Hey, Dean," Sam pointed out to the two.

"See?" smiled Dean.

Sam, breathing shakily, doubled over in pain. Kiara and Dean rushed to the younger Winchester, helping him up. "Sam? We got you, little brother. You're gonna be just fine," Dean urged.

They managed to get him out of the church. They were about to get him into the impala when Sam groaned and fell next to the car, clearly in severe pain.

"Cas!" Dean called to the sky for their angel companion. "Cas, where the hell are you?"

Kiara and Dean turned their eyes to the night sky. All around the stars, pools of orange began to form, streaks falling from the pools. The sight filled them all with dread and worry for Cas.

"What's happening?" Sam asked as he looked up and saw the same sight.

"Angels," breathed Kiara with a gulp. "They're falling."