Chapter Three

“Tomoya?” I ask as the boy came into view.

“Is that really you Ami?” he asks and pulls me into a bear hug before I can answer.

“So you do remember me?”

“How could I forget you?”

I hear the school doors open.

“I'm sorry Tomoya I have to go,” I tell him and give him a peck on the cheek. Then I speed off to the car.

Maybe.

Even if I leave someone will remember me.

Kaiba pulls up to my grandmother's house.

I unbuckle my seatbelt.

“I talked to the school. I got permission for you to have time off school for work,” he pauses and faces me. “I expect you to be ready at eight A.M. You're going to keep my papers organized, type what I tell you to, and bring me lunch.”

“I-i u-um...” my face flushes. “Do I need to wear my uniform?” I look down. My uniform is filthy and I can't possibly get it cleaned by morning.

“No,” he says and then gets in his car and leaves.

He can't possibly be as bad as everyone else says.

I crawl into bed sprawl out underneath the covers. I smile to myself and pull the covers up to my chin. I think today is the best day I've had in a while.

I stretch my arms above my head. What a beautiful morning. Before I know it I'm in Seto Kaiba's tiny car. I hope I'm not underdressed. I'm wearing my favorite outfit this morning.

Kaiba doesn't so much as glance over in my direction. Why is it that I want him to look at me? I want to see his crystal blue eyes look at me.

We arrive at his mansion without a word. Already I'm bored and I haven't even started anything.

We sit in silence for what feels like eternity. The only words he speaks to me are, “type this” or “put these in the right file.”

Other than that we do not speak until lunch time, when I'm told to go get lunch from the kitchen.

I open the door just enough for me to exit and escape from the silence (or so I think). I manage to find my way to the kitchen using my nose (I smell something yummy being made). It smells like potato soup, I think while I stand outside the door. What am I suppose to do? Do I knock? Do I just walk in? Ahh! In my head I imagine a chibi me sobbing.

I don't know what comes over me but my body moves on its own. I open the door and peek inside. “U-um e-excu-use me?” I say barely above a whisper.

Someone opens the door and I almost fall forward but somehow I catch myself.

“What are you doing here?” a soft, sweet female voice asks me.

“I-i'm h-here to get Master Kaiba's lunch,” I manage to get out. I'm so out of my comfort zone.

Even when I want to talk.

To reach out.

I just can't seem to be able to.

I scan the room. Only three people are there... and they all look alike. All three of them have platinum blonde hair and powdery blue eyes. Eh?! So pretty. Why are all these people so pretty?

“Hello miss,” one of the young men says to me, bowing. He takes my hand and kisses it.

Internally I go from crying to want to run away. Who are these people?! I back away from the strange male. If I had a stick... I'd poke him.