Where's Daddy?

'Where's Daddy?'

Copyright of Hailee Nevaeh Brooke Richards.

Wordcount: 583

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A young girl around the age of seven walked into the study where her mother, Sarah, was sitting and working on a work project. 

"Mummy?" The young girl asked. Sarah stopped doing her workand spun around in her office chair to face her daughter. 

"Elly, why aren't you in bed? It's two hours past your bedtime." She said with a sigh. 

"I had another nightmare about daddy." The girl sniffed, before proceeding to wipe her running nose on her sleeve. 

"I thought those dreams had stopped, Elly." She replied once again with a sigh. Sarah then stood up from her chair kneeled down and gave Elly a huge hug. She stroked her daughter's long, brunette hair whilst in the hug and then stood up after around thirty seconds. 

Sarah wasn't prepared for the next question.

"Mummy, what really happened to daddy?" Elly asked hopefully, wanting to know what all the fuss was about. 

"I knew I would have to answer this question one day." She sat back down in her chair before beginning her story. 

"Once there was a teenager, the age of fourteen, with shiny brunette hair and bright green eyes, let's call her Sarah." 

"Mummy! That's your name!" Elly shouted brightly. 

"Well, isn't that a coincidence; it is." Sarah said sarcastically before continuing. "She was walking around the local supermarket, when someone bumped into her, sending her things flying. He had the most electrifying blue eyes and dark, shaggy blonde hair. He was what you children would call 'fit'... or is that teenagers?..."

Elly giggled before sitting down on the furry, beige carpet.

"Anyway, he was the most handsome boy she had ever seen, and he thought she was the prettiest. It was love at first sight and eight years later, you were born. Your father loved you ever so much, and so did I. I still do and I always will! 

"You were two when he decided to go to war in Iraq."

Elly gasped and tears started to fill her bright blue eyes.

"I tried to talk him out of it, I really did, but he was adamant on going. Sure enough three months later, he was at war. It was around 9 months before I heard any news from him. It was just a letter, but to me it was like heaven." Sarah pulled out a letter from one of her desk drawers and read it out loud.

"It said:

     'To my beautiful darlings Sarah and Elly,

     Everything's been fine, not much fighting. Tomorrow we are
     headed out into one of the main cities. There have been equal
     amounts of bombs to those who have died from them. In the
     case that I should not return, just know that I love you both
     dearly and I will never forget you. I have to go and get a
     decent nights sleep for tomorrow. I will hopefully see you
     again at Christmas time.

     Your husband/father,

     Cameron.'

He never sent word again." 

Sarah handed the letter to Elly. "Keep it safe." She told her, with tears slowly falling out of her eyes. She burst out in tears as she watched Elly leave.

Elly took the letter and walked back to her room in complete silence. Once she was there, she gently placed it under her pillow and attempted to get to sleep. As she slowly drifted off, she couldn't help but feel as if a pair of eyes were watching her from the shadows.

A pair of electrifying. blue. eyes.