Chapter 20

Roanna and Shai caught up with the others after reaching the bottom of the hill. They had Lake to thank, for the boys had taken a rest due to his poor condition. Lake was shaking uncontrollably and looked like he would throw up at any moment. He didn't even notice the lack of one person. Mav, however, did. The latter didn't ask, simply exchanging a nod with Shai.

"I think he has a fever," Roanna commented as she felt Lake's forehead.

"We should keep moving," Mav replied.

Shai didn't respond. Instead, he walked over to his shivering friend. He hauled the boy to his feet and pulled his arm around his shoulder. Propping him up, he turned expectantly to the other two.

Mav took the lead once more.

The group stumbled along. Roanna dropped back at some point to help Shai with Lake. They continued on, barely making any stops. Night came, bringing a new wave of bitter cold. A longer break was taken and then the teens were on their way once more. The amount of snow on the ground began to dwindle and they came across not one infected. When the wind blew away some of the white to reveal the frozen ground below, the reason was revealed. Small ravines dotted the area, a few larger.

"Bombed," Roanna commented.

"Don't fall in," Mav added.

And on they went. To the group it became a struggle to put one leg in front of the other, but they kept going. The thought that each step brought them closer was the only thing holding them up. And then, in early hours of dawn, as the moon began to slip away, the smell of the ocean hit their noses. Only moments later they became aware of lights ahead.

They were bright, sweeping back and forth as they searched for anything that dared to approach. Before them, several large fences stretched out, one behind the other. Their barbed ends kept flesh eating intruders at bay long enough for those behind to pick them off. A few buildings and makeshift tents were barely visible behind in the brightening morning sky.

The teens got closer only to see the light turn to a flashing red. There were shouts and figures appeared, running to line up behind the fence. Shai could just make out the weapons in their arms.

"Wait!" Roanna left the boys' side. Half running, half stumbling, she surged forward, hands in the air. "Wait!"

The weapons were raised and the guns trained on the targets.

"We're human!" Roanna shouted desperately. "We're human!"

"Hold it!" a voice boomed.

Roanna froze, hands still in the air. The boys walked up beside her, Shai still supporting Lake, and then they too stopped.

"Put your hands up. All of you!" the voice demanded.

The boys did just that, following Roanna's lead. Even Lake, as out of it as he was, managed to raise them.

There was movement and a gate opened.

Several armed men and woman marched out, guns still aimed. A man brushed past them, eyes on the teens.

"Holy smokes!" He exclaimed as he got closer. "Where did you lot come from?" He raised an arm, causing those behind him to stand down.

"All clear!" a voice called.

"All clear," it echoed.

The flashing red lights turned off.

Several soldiers ran forward to assist the teens.

"Scavenging mission, with Commander Natalie Park." Roanna spoke for the group.

The group was surrounded and herded toward the gate. It opened to them.