Geric- A Side Effect Of A Death

It was late. The second inspector had just left and everyone was exhausted, especially Eric, who was riddled with guilt and grief for Eva, and his unborn child. Sheila was slumped in a chair, tears staining her cheeks, Mr and Mrs Birling were simply sat at either end of the oaken dining table, glowering angrily at surface which was void of its usual prim cloth. Gerald was the only one standing. He stood leaning against the panneled wall, absently staring at the thick, patterned carpet.

"I need some air," Eric suddenly sighed, shakily walking out of the door, slamming it behind him.

"I'll go after him," Gerald announced, leaving the room before anyone could reply.

The heavy door creaked open, and Eric did not need to look up to know who had followed him.
"Eric."

"Go away."

"Eric," Gerald repeated, with more insistence.

Eric slowly raised his head to look the older man in the eyes.
"Did you come out here to tell me that you're disgusted? By what I did to Eva? Are you here to scold me for drinking too much? Because I bloody well know what I did was awful. I know the drinking is bad. It just... helps me cope," Eric snapped at Gerald.

"Cope with what?" Gerald questioned softly, worried.

Eric scoffed. "With everything. With my parents, with the pressure of the business, with YOU for God's sake."

"With me? What did I do?" Gerald asked, slightly offended.

Eric froze, suddenly realising what he had just said, dropping his eyes to the floor.

"Eric?" Gerald said, moving closer to the shorter boy and placing a hand on his shoulder tentatively. Eric slapped his hand away, as if it had burned him, then backed away. Gerald was shocked at his actions, unable to fathom why Eric was acting so strangely. Eric tripped over a branch, and fell backwards into the snow. Then he just lay there, tears trailing down his face. This was it. He'd have to tell him. He'd be disgusted, and call the police. It'd be the end of everything, he might even be killed. Maybe that would be a relief.

Gerald sat down cross-legged next to the shaking figure that was Eric.
"You can tell me whatever it is that is bothering you, you know that right? You're my best friend, Eric," Gerald whispered.

"I- I can't," Eric's voice cracked.

"C'mon. It can't be worse than what happened this evening," Gerald laughed.

Eric let out a laboured breath. "Oh but it can. It's so so much worse."

Gerald rolled his eyes. "Could you stop being so dramatic for one minute and just tell me?"

Eric whispered something inaudibly, and Gerald raised an eyebrow, obviously waiting for Eric to repeat what he had said.

Eric swallowed thickly and simply sighed 'fuck it' before rapidly sitting up and pressing his lips to the other man's. Gerald's eyes widened, shocked into momentary paralysis, before slowly kissing back, eyes slowly closing and frost-bitten hands finding their way to Eric's hair. The world was so cold, but his lips were so warm, and in that moment, Eric thought that it was heaven on earth. They parted, panting slightly, both unable to comprehend the situation.

"Well," Gerald cleared his throat.

"Yeah," Eric muttered.

"So you..."

"Yeah. You too?"

"Yeah."

"We would be arrested if anyone found out," Eric stated.

"Obviously," Gerald replied,"but I don't think I care at this point."

Eric smiled wistfully,"I'm going to be arrested because of what I did to Eva, if they find out I'm a poof too they'll kill me."

"Then... let's run away."

"This isn't a fantasy novel, Gerald."

"I'm serious. Let's run away, somewhere where people won't find us. We could make it work. I don't want to lose this, after all, I only just found it," Gerald insisted, a tears glistening in his eyes.

Eric stared at him, not saying a word.

"C'mon."

Eric sniffed. "Gerald, we're both heirs to huge businesses, you will inherit the title of 'Lord'. Our disappearance would not go unnoticed. If we got caught..."

"I know! I know, alright! Don't you dare think I'm not absolutely terrified right now. But I can't just ignore this," Gerald laughed hysterically. "To think, we would have lived our lives, going to our graves with our secret, if Daisy had not died. I would've been married to your sister, you would have probably drunk yourself to death. I'm not ignoring this."

"Go home. Quickly. Grab what you need, I'll do the same. Meet me at the train station in three hours. You're my reason to live. I won't ignore this either," Eric babbled rapidly, before rushing inside the Birling Manor. Gerald smiled.

"You're the only thing I need"