Chapter 21

I stuffed my hands into my pockets, keeping my keys ready to get into the apartment. I was beyond exhausted like I felt every night, but I couldn't seem to get to sleep at all.

My body craved being with my mate that it wasn't even funny. I hated feeling so dependent on someone, especially a Werewolf. It went against what I was taught as a child. Then again... I have been proven so many times that what I have been taught as a child was wrong.

'I still say that you should kill them,' the voice, Hunter, said. She sounded bored, and if she was an actual human, I was sure that she would be looking at her nails and giving me an attitude. 'Who would it kill?'

'Possibly me,' I replied. 'Mates are forever, or have you forgotten what Sil had said? If I killed my mate and the whole pack, then we will have a much different and harder war on our hands.'

'They killed your family. Why are you standing up for them?'

'Rogues, killed my family,' I replied, a bit surprised that I was actually defending these packs. 'Faes protected what is my Achilles Heel while I tried to get to her. Vampires swore to help if I chose the right path. And, Weres gave us a place to stay and protected us from those that will kill us.'

Hunter huffed, and I could tell that she rolled her eyes. 'Who knew that my descendant would be a Supernatural lover.'

'Who knew that I was an innocent lover,' i replied, sarcastically, causing Hunter to scoff. 'Look, the world has changed. Yes, my family had been murdered by Rogues, and yes the unthinkable has happened to me because of some Rogues. But, there are still good ones out there. The Goddess has placed me as your chosen descendant for a reason. I do not know the reason, but what I do know is that I will try to make this shit right.'

Hunter was tense, and I could feel her anger through the link we shared. 'Are you saying that all of this is my fault?' she seethed, causing me to scoff and roll my eyes.

'I am saying that both of you made a mistake,' I replied. 'I am not pointing fingers at anyone.'

Hunter scoffed, and I could tell that she didn't like the way that I thought. From my point of view, she acted more like a teenager than I had ever acted in my eighteen years of living.

I bit back a sigh and rubbed my forehead. A headache appeared out of nowhere, and it didn't help with my mood at all. 'Just leave me be, and let me do what I think is right.'

Hunter didn't say a word, and I could tell that she still didn't like what I thought.

I shook my head and walked to my apartment building. My whole body tensed when I saw that the apartment door was cracked.

My heart pounded through my chest, and I couldn't help but feel worried about my sister. I took my pocket knife out of my boot and flicked it open.

Warning bells filled my brain, and I knew that a Supernatural was in my apartment. When I opened the door, I was a bit surprised to see who was in my apartment.

I couldn't let the male know that I was in some sort of disguise, so I let my body shake with fear. I let the feelings of helplessness and fear show when I had been a child, watching as my family was torn apart. "W-w-who are you?" I asked, letting my voice shake.

***

Frank turned to look at me, looking disheveled. He had dark circles under his eyes, and I could tell that he hadn't been sleeping well. And, I was sure that it was the same reason as to why I hadn't been sleeping well.

He moved a hand across his face and sighed. "Avery," he said, causing me to "blink in confusion".

"Who are you?" I asked, again. I gulped in fear, taking a step back.

"You can drop the act," Frank said, grunting. He scowled and looked me up and down. A small bit of relief flickered through his eyes, and I was sure that he was glad that I was all right.

"D-d-drop what a-a-act?" I asked. I cocked my head and furrowed my brows, glad that I was some sort of an actress. "I-I'm not doing an act."

He rubbed the bridge of his nose and huffed. "Look, I know that the main reason you are hiding from us is because of your sister and how protective you are of her. And... I want to apologize for not giving you a chance."

"I-I don't know what you a-a-are talking a-a-about, S-s-s-sir," I replied. I was a bit shocked that he wanted to apologize, but I wasn't going to drop the act. I had no idea as to how he found me, and I didn't like knowing that someone might've told him where I was.

He growled, causing me to back up a bit to the door with a small startled cry. Frank stalked towards me and cornered me against the door, causing me to want to punch him in the throat. Anger, pain, and grief filled his eyes while he leaned close to me, getting in my face. "Look, I know that you are the Hunter."

'I think he knows,' Hunter said, sarcastically. 'Tell him that he needs a breath meant.'

I scowled and stood up straighter, getting into his face as well. I lowered the knife a bit, keeping a tight grip on the handle. "Then, I think you should back up before I claw your eyes out," I all but snarled. "Oh, and you really should get a breath mint. Your breath smells like shit."

Frank growled but backed up. He stared at me, with so much hatred, that I couldn't describe it.

I reached up and took off the wig that Sil had given me. My whole appearance changed back to my original form, and I was glad that I felt taller than I had been. "Why do you hate me so much?" I asked, my voice showing how tired I was.

Frank blinked and studied me. He moved back to the couch and sat down, rubbing his face. Frank tried to answer the question that I had given him, but he couldn't. Something was holding him back, and I was curious as to what it was. "How old are you?" he asked, changing the subject.

I scoffed and folded my arms across my chest. I moved towards the other chair in the room and sat, angling my body so that I could bolt if need be. "Eighteen," I replied.

Frank sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Damn," he said.

"Ya, damn," I replied, sarcastically. I looked towards the bedroom door, knowing that my sister was awake. "You can come out."

Ana walked out of the room, rubbing her eyes. She clutched one of her wooden horses, making her way to my side. "I was wondering when you were going to say that it was safe," she said, leaning her head on my shoulder. She frowned at Frank, and I knew that she didn't like him. She had gotten close to Sarah, Frank's daughter that was her age, and didn't like that she had to leave her friend.

"How long have you been up?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Since he came," she replied. "He wasn't really quiet." She rolled her eyes when she caught my frown. "Don't worry, I had the dust ready."

I nodded my head, glad that she was prepared. I studied her face and knew that she was ready to take off the wig that we had to use as a disguise. "Yes, you can take your wig off."

Anna sighed in relief. "Thank Goddess," she said. She took hold of her blonde hair wig and pulled it off, looking glad that she didn't have to wear it. "Oh, there are people at the door."

I scowled because I already knew that the five Hunters I had taken in were at the door, debating whether they wanted to come into the apartment room or not. "Come on in, Guys," I said. "You don't have to debate on who is going to go in first."