The Girl That Fell

Journal entry:

28th June 1995

“You sure you wanna hear it?” I asked Brandon shyly as he sat across from me on the couch in his living room.

“Of course babe,” he replied, smiling lovingly as he always did. I returned a nervous, shy grin, dropping my eyes to the acoustic guitar I had ready in my lap, trying to tune into e. I hadn’t quite finished the song I’d written for him, but his insistent begging for the past week made me give in on the Friday afternoon after school. I agreed to play the one finished verse and a chorus.

There’s that pretty smile,” he added. I loved it when he said that. I always had to fight off the blushing cheeks when he did. Although, it was easier than what it sounds. All I had to do was think about going home, and all that was blissful would be shattered instantly by a mere thought.   

This time was no different, but I chose humour as a defense mechanism and replied with another grin, “Shut up.” Although, he knew me better than that. 

Once I’d found the correct tuning, my eyes drifted over to him, my lips pursed, visibly holding back a smile. At first, I felt my stomach churn at the thought of him not liking the song. It would have broken me. But, in the seconds that past as I studied him, I noticed that he was just as tense as I was. It eased my mind, and I relaxed my hands.

My right hand found the fourth fret from the bottom of the neck up, and my left lightly fingered the strings, playing a slow, rhythmic, repetitive harmony as I swayed lazily to the beat in my head. Before I closed my eyes, I looked to him once more. I felt then that I wouldn’t ruin the tune by speaking, so I projected my inner voice, connecting to his conscious mind, and spoke to him with mine. 

The voice vibrated in my mind, and as I released it from within me, I could see the ethereal stream drift over from above me, and wrap itself gently around his head, seeping into his mind instantly. The words were: “I hope you like it.” 

He smiled sheepishly, knowing exactly what I did, as he was not able to the stream as I did. He responded with a whisper as he moved into a laying position on the couch, “I already do.”

My smile warmed our mood, and I closed my eyes to feel the music embrace me, and allowed the lyrics to escape:

Never thought I’d see the day things would be this real

Never had much time, I rarely thought it through

You’ve shown me how to shine and many ways that I could deal

Wish there was a way show how I do

But for now you’ll have to believe me

Just for a moment, see what I see

I know that actions say it louder

Words just don’t have power

Keep me with you

In your arms, your mind, anywhere

I’ll carry you

In my soul, my heart, everywhere

I’d opened my eyes on the last lyrical line, and looked deep into Brandon’s eyes; he had changed to a sitting position again. The smile on his face wasn’t broad, but the glimmer in his eye told a thousand stories.