7 | Binge

BINGE

"She saved the best of her for the heart that understood the worst of her."

JmStorm

On our way back into the school, Wes asked for my cell phone number.

"Because if anything goes down between you and the Tigress, you need to call me. Like, immediately."

I gave him a look but took out one of my notebooks and ripped off a corner piece. "Are you always so desperate for a story?"

"Always."

"Hmm." I scribbled down my number and then handed the scrap to him. He looked down at it.

"You could have just told me," he laughed, pulling out his cell phone.

"Oh, right. I forgot."

"What, that we're in the twenty-first century?" he goaded.

I backhanded his arm, the same way I would Jake, and he yelped. "I only just got a phone, you know. I used to share Jake's. I'm still getting used to it."

"You, my friend, hit as hard as my brother."

"Wuss."

"And now you sound like him, too."

I fixed him with a look and he chuckled.

"'Kay, so I'll see you later, right?" he said, looking down at the phone to put the number in.

"I guess so."

"What are you doing after school?"

"Jake has tryouts and since he's my ride, I'm gonna be here until he finishes."

"That is great. I'm going to be covering the tryouts anyway."

"What do you mean?"

"I have to shoot it. It's actually what you'd call one of the bigger pieces of the quarter, so this guy," he pointed at himself, "gets to cover it. Perks of being the editor."

"Ah."

"Yes. So... see you in journalism?"

"I actually have a free period now, we could–"

"I have a class so I've gotta run, but I'll talk to Mr. Braun for you, okay?" he called, already jogging up the steps. With one last wave, he pushed through the doors and disappeared through them.

I stood for a moment in the hazy sunlight, looking after where he'd disappeared.

Goodness.

Shaking my head, I entered the school. The halls were starting to fill again. I kept my head down and walked fast. Wes had told me that Alison rarely went anywhere without her posse so I just had to avoid the popular hangouts (i.e. the hallway with the lockers, the courtyard, and the bleachers next to the football field) and I should be okay. Not to mention, but Jake was also on the lookout for me (if his incoming texts were any indication) and since I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of seeing him any time soon, I betook myself to the library, confident that I wouldn't see any of the popular crowd there. Jake might look for me, but I planned on giving him the silent treatment anyway so whatever.

"Hey, you're the girl who cursed out Alison, right?" some guy suddenly asked as I was walking past.

"Um, no."