Chapter Sixteen

Ding-dong.

            Waking up with a snort, my eyes opened wide, gazing around the room. It took me a few moments to realize I'd fallen asleep on my couch, right in front of the T.V. A commercial for Education Connection was playing, the catchy jingle monopolizing my mind for a moment.

            Ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong, ding-dong.

            A scowl crossed my face as I ran a hand through my messy bedhead. "I'm coming!" I shouted in annoyance as the visitor continued to abuse my doorbell. After smoothing my hair down one more time, I grabbed the door handle and yanked it open, narrowing my eyes.

            They widened again when two tall hooded figures appeared in my vision. My mouth dropped open in surprise, but nothing would come out. The two forced me further into my house and I stumbled backward, my mind not working properly enough to comprehend the situation. Was I being robbed? Kidnapped?

            The taller one reached out and grabbed my shoulders, pulling me closer to his body. "Where's the money?"

            "I—"

            "Noah," the shorter one reprimanded, smacking his partner on the back. "I said we weren't going for the robbers approach!"

            My eyebrows furrowed. I knew that voice. "Chace?"

            "Happy birthday," Chace greeted me, pulling back his black hood to reveal his handsome, grinning face. "I'm a bit worried about your reaction though. You should have screamed or something..."

            Rubbing a hand over my face, I yawned. "I just woke up... Noah, are you going to take off your hood?"

            The blonde chuckled, sliding back his hood to display his blonde hair. "Sure thing, Rose. Long time no see, by the way."

            "I'll say," I responded, smiling slightly.

            "Happy birthday. Thanks for inviting me to your party."

            "Hey, blame that on Chace. He set it up."

            Pursing his lips, Noah targeted Chace with accusing eyes. "Why wasn't I invited?"

            "I didn't realize you guys were friends," Chace said simply, shrugging. "Next time I'll invite you."

            "You better," Noah muttered. "Anyway. Where's your costume?"

            I frowned at him. "My what?"

            "Costume? Hel-lo! It's Halloween!"

            "And I'm eighteen now... I'm not going trick or treating," I told him, giving him the are-you-crazy look.

            He clicked his tongue, shaking his head. "Rose, Rose. You are never too old to go trick or treating."

            I crossed my arms. "Uh, yeah you are. I didn't even go trick or treating last year... or the year before that even."

            "What a waste!" he cried, an offended expression crossing his face. "That's like, two bags of candy you've missed out on!"

            "Yeah, well, I don't like candy that much to begin with."

            "Lying isn't healthy, Rose."