Chapter Fourteen

Kate slumped against the kitchen table groaning loudly. “Why is Braille so hard to read?”

            Chace chuckled, patting her on the shoulder. “You mean feel.”

            “You guys don’t have to do this, you know,” I said moodily, glancing at my mom who was talking to Jack, my Braille teacher. Well, Chace’s, Kate’s, and my Braille teacher. They’d decided they wanted to learn it with me. Even though I’d tried to talk them out of it, they stuck to it like glue.

            “We want to,” Kate assured me. “I think it’d be pretty cool to know.”

            “And you like the support, don’t you?” Chace asked, nudging me in the side with an elbow.

            I slapped his arm away. “Shut up, Chace.”

            “You’re so abusive,” he muttered, pouting at me.

            “Oh, stop complaining.”

            He grinned at me. “I love you, Rosie.”

            Kate smirked at me while I blushed. It’d been nearly two weeks since I’d been released from the hospital, and Chace said that to me every day. And I hadn’t said it back yet. To be honest, I wanted to. Every time he told it to me, but I couldn’t bring myself to say it. I wasn’t as certain as him. Sure, my feeling for him were strong— really strong and falling in love with him in two and a half months was completely possible, but there was a small part of me that wasn’t positive if love was what I felt.

            “So, what are the plans for tomorrow?” Kate began, breaking the silence that had fallen.

            “What’s tomorrow?” I asked.

            Chace gave Kate a hard look. “Kate!”

            She blinked at him, confused. “What?”

            “Shh!”

            “Shh what?” I interjected, turning to Chace. “What is it?”

            “A surprise,” he grumbled. “Well, it was a surprise.”

            Kate gasped. “Oh crap! I forgot it was a surprise party!”

            Sighing, Chace clapped a hand to his forehead. “And now you’ve given the fact it’s a party away…”

            “Shit!” she swore, looking panicked. “I take it back! You didn’t hear it, Rose!”

            I grinned at her evilly. “Oh, yes I did. You guys are throwing me a surprise party? For my birthday? You’re too sweet!”

            “It would’ve been better if it was actually a surprise,” Chace responded, shooting Kate another dirty look.

            “I’m sorry,” she apologized, frowning deeply. “Damn.”

            “It’s okay, Kate, you were never good at keeping secrets,” I consoled her, reaching across the table to pat her hand. “I would’ve found out anyway.”

            She groaned. “But we were so close! Only a day away!”

            “Yeah, last time we planned a surprise party, you told Tony the moment you heard of it.”