Chapter Twenty.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~

“Did you get in late last night?” My mom asks the next day as I step into the kitchen. She was pouring herself a bowl of cereal and she glances at me over her shoulder.

My eyes were still half closed from just waking up. The bun I had in my hair was now loose and on the side of my head. I yawn, nodding slowly. “Yeah. You were asleep in the study again.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” She sighs, setting down the box of cheerios. She turns to me, cupping my face in her hands and pulling me forward to plant a big kiss on my cheek. “We’ve missed you.”

I laugh. “I’ve missed you, too.” I open the fridge, taking out the orange juice. Pouring myself a glass, I ask, “Has dad found a job yet?”

“Nope pumpkin.” My dad answers, suddenly strolling into the kitchen. He’s in his usual blue robe, with his pajama pants and white t-shirt underneath. “I’m trying though.” He kisses the top of my head, reaching across me for a cup of coffee.

I scrunch up my face. “Dad, I could get you a job at Elijah’s club.”

He waves me away. “Honey, that’s your space. I don’t want to invade.” As I start to protest, he cuts me off by chucking me gently under the chin. “Don’t you worry. Your old pop will find something.”

“Well have you guys paid this month’s bills?” Truthfully, I was afraid of maybe losing our house, but I pray that it doesn’t come that far. I’m staying optimistic, positive that my mother’s salary can keep us on our feet.

“We did.” Mom reassures me. “But, I did find this.” She clicks her tongue at me, picking something up from the side table in our kitchen. She extends her arm toward me. “This is your paycheck, Dakota. I don’t want it.”

I sigh loudly. “Mom, seriously? Just take it. I don’t need it.”

She shakes her head forcefully, placing it in my hands. “Maybe not now, but you will. Save it.” She gives me a pointed look, showing me this discussion was over. She wiggles her eyebrows. Oh, God. “So, how was the trip?” Code for: How’s Elijah?

My face heats up slightly under the gazes of my parents. I turn and study my glass. “Mom, we’re just friends, alright?” As I said that, I felt a slight rush of heat. Honestly, I have no idea what’s going on.

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Elijah and his band were practicing on stage when I walked into the club. I sighed as I stepped in, the air conditioner chilling my skin from the heat outside. Whatever song they were playing ended, the three boys turning to me.

“It’s Dakota!” Tommy yelled, a big smile contorting onto his face. He raised his one arm, tipping his drumstick in a greeting.

“Hey.” I smile back, dropping down my bag. I move toward the stage, pushing my hands into the steel surface as I dip myself forward. I glance up at Elijah, whom was lazily strumming his guitar, his lips pulled into his mouth. I suspected he missed playing the week we’ve been gone.

“You look tan.” Tommy notes, giving me a once over. “You look good.”

At least someone thinks so. “Thanks, Tommy. You’re oh too kind.”

“Only for you, darling.”

I laugh softly. “So, how does it feel to be playing again? I’m sure the people have missed you.” They were popular here. I could tell people enjoyed listening to them, because every time they played they earned a big crowd.