Chapter Five.

Elijah Astor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Dakota wouldn’t talk to me. She came in for her shift at five the next night, placed her bag down, got her apron, and stood behind the bar. Saying she wouldn’t talk to me was an understatement; she wouldn’t even look at me. She stared straight ahead, her jaw set in concentration.

I guess it was fair. But then, again, I’m still angry with her. Everything I said about her was true. She’s spoiled, and she doesn’t care about anyone but herself. I was starting to question if she even had feelings.

I glanced over at her as I tuned my guitar, but she was still in the same position; staring at the wall across the room. Fine, if she wouldn’t talk to me, I wouldn’t talk to her. But, I wanted too. I don’t know why it’s bothering me so much that she’s ignoring me.

Tommy flashed me a stupid grin, sliding away from his drums. He moved over to the bar, and stood directly in front of Dakota. “What’s wrong, beauty?”

Dakota slowly looked toward him. I saw her stance loosen, and a small smile turn at her lips. “Hey, Tommy.” She sighed.

“What’s with the sad face?” He asked, and reached over, playfully flicking her nose. “You’re too beautiful to be sad.”

I slapped a hand to my forehead, and shook my head. My friend was flirting with Dakota. Dakota, a cheerleader, who hardly even talked to Tommy before. I glanced over at Luke, whom seemed amused, watching the two. He shrugged at me, and I decided I better save Tommy from humiliation.

But as I looked back at them, Dakota was blushing. She was blushing as though she’s never been called beautiful before, which is hard to believe.

“Tommy,” Luke called out, chuckling. “Leave her alone.”

“Why?” He shouted back, but didn’t turn away from Dakota.

“Because you’re a creep!”

Tommy gasped loudly as though he was offended. He threw a glare at Luke, before looking back at Dakota. “Dakota doesn’t think I’m a creep, do you?”

“She does.” I cut in, and jumped down from the stage. Over by the bar, I grabbed Tommy around the neck, trapping him in a choke hold. “And plus, we have to practice our set. We’re opening in half an hour.”

“Let me go,” Tommy sputtered, and pushed against my stomach.

Laughing, I pushed on the back on his head, sending him in the direction of the stage. “Get back there,” Once he was gone, I gazed over at Dakota, but either she didn’t notice or she was ignoring me, (I’m going to go with the ladder) because she steadily looked back at the wall.

“Come on, man” Luke said, and began to strum his guitar. Sending Dakota one last look, I went to stage.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At midnight, the club was packed again. Mostly with college students, and a few people I recognized from school. (Don’t ask me how they manage to get in here.) One thing I noticed, at least everyone was drunk. They were loud, and obnoxious, and there was almost no more space left to stand at the bar. Glancing at the bar, I realized Dakota wasn’t there, and instead it was my father, serving drinks.

Elbowing my way through people, I pushed my way up to the bar. I shouted at my dad, “Where’s Dakota?”

“In the back,” He yelled back, and thrusts a thumb over his shoulder, pointing to the storage room in the back of the club.

I nodded, and made my way over there. I opened the storage room door, and peaked my head inside. My eyes instantly fell on Dakota, who was bent at the waist, rummaging through bottles of closed alcohol.