Chapter Nine

The space before me is empty.

Davey and Alice have vanished from before my eyes.

Success!

Wait.

I am still here.

I feel unexpected panic rise in my chest as I sink to the filthy floor. I thought I was prepared for this possibility. This is not the end. I will get out of here. I managed to escape once, I can do so again. I have enough power to leave. I hope Jareth does not have the power to keep me here, or do worse.

%%%

I wake alert. I am not yet willing to open my eyes, but I am fully aware of the strangely comfortable though alien environment around me. Satin, softness, and a faint, earthy smell envelop me. The coolness of the sheets against my skin is relief from the encroaching warmth of the air, but the blankets piled on my feet are too heavy for the summer heat.

I strain to ascertain anything more without my sight. There are soft, distant noises coming from the direction of a gentle breeze, and behind my eyelids I detect light. It must be a window.

I hear a latch lift in another direction and my breathing stops. I am frozen, and hope I appear to be sleeping. Faint, familiar sounds of scurrying and shifting announce the presence of a plethora of goblins distantly beyond the door, but in a whisper, someone hushes them and shoos them away. Heavy footfalls draw closer, through the door, and to the bed and I am momentarily relieved. I cannot imagine Jareth walking with such ungracefully loud footsteps. Of course, that does not mean that he is not here, just that he is not here alone.

The footsteps pause and a clunking and tinkling beside me indicate the owner of the heavy footfalls has set something on the bedside table. I listen to the footsteps retreat and the latch click.

I cannot bring myself to open my eyes. I can sense I am still not alone, and I fear what I will see when I part my eyelids. I try to control my breathing to hide that I am awake and on the verge of panic.

"Your h—Lady Sarah?"

I let out a breath and open my eyes automatically upon hearing Gelda's familiar voice. I sit up and look over. On the floor next to the bed stands the thin and petite goblin, a welcome sight.

"Gelda!"

I swiftly crawl to the edge of the bed and swing my legs over. The sudden movement leaves me unexpectedly dizzy and I squeeze my eyes shut and bring my fingers to press at my temples in a feeble attempt to stop the headache.

"Milady? Are you alright?"

"Just a little dizzy, Gelda. It is the least of my problems right now."

I look up with a grimace, sure that the sadness in my eyes is obvious even to her.

"M—milady? What's wrong?"

It is something I know Gelda cannot comprehend, so I ignore her question and look toward the bedside table from which I heard the clunking earlier. A tray is set on it, piled with food-filled dishes. It smells good and looks foreign. I raise my eyebrows.

"Your breakfast, Lady Sarah."

She knows that, except for her, I do not let the goblins prepare my food, even the more intelligent ones. "Gelda," I admonish, "who prepared the food?"

She quirks her head and looks at me, confused for a moment. Realization shows on her face and she hurriedly reassures, "Not the lesser goblins, milady! The cook is quite skillful, I hear. I would have had the food sent to the dining hall or your parlor, as I am told is usual, but considering you slept all day and night, I thought perhaps you were not feeling well enough to eat even in your private dining parlor."