Memories(2)

"Are you going out with her?"

Charlie had gone over the words he'd just uttered in his head numerous times. Even then they still sounded like the words of a jealous guy.

"Are you saying I shouldn't?" Patrick asked with a slight smirk.

Charlie drew random lines on the sand, trying his best to avoid Patrick's eyes. "I'm just asking."

"Yeah," Patrick replied.

Charlie stopped drawing for a second, caught by surprise. He wasn't supposed to be surprised, but he couldn't help himself. He'd hoped for a different answer.

"Have fun," he said half-heartedly.

"You are avoiding my eyes," Patrick pointed out.

Charlie shifted slightly on the sand and lifted his eyes only to look at the calm sea before them.

"Charlie!" Patrick said.

"You are delusional," Charlie said.

"Since we kissed you've never looked me in the eye," Patrick said.

It had only been two days. The day after the kiss Charlie hadn't seen Patrick all day, and even though it was normal not to see Patrick on Sundays, Charlie couldn't help but wonder if Patrick was just staying away.

That Monday they hadn't talked much because Charlie was really avoiding Patrick. He didn't want to make a fool of himself. He thought he'd managed to avoid him for the day until Patrick rocked up at Charlie's house and suggested they take a walk by the beach.

So here they were, sitting on the beach sand and watching the sunset. It had been okay until Patrick told Charlie about the latest date his uncle had set him up on.

"I'm not avoiding your eyes. I just don't see why I have to stare into them lovingly like a lovestruck teenager," Charlie said. Sadly, that was what he was.

"Oh so you are not in love with me? I could swear the way you kissed me..." Patrick started teasingly and was cut off by the handful of sand that ended up on his shirt and trailed down to his pants.

"I'm going to get you for that," he said.

Charlie ran but no matter how fast he ran, he couldn't outrun Patrick. Maybe Patrick took his revenge too far. Suddenly Charlie had sand in his underwear.

"Screw you!" Charlie said in frustration.

"Wouldn't you love to do that," Patrick said before he tackled Charlie to the ground and proceeded to put the sand he had in his hand in Charlie's t-shirt.

When he looked up, Charlie was just looking at him. He wasn't squirming anymore.

"Good, stay like that. If you can withstand 5 seconds of my eyes, I'll believe you," Patrick said.

Charlie blushed and immediately closed his eyes. When he opened them however, Patrick's lips were barely a discernable distance away from his.