9 mai

this past week i've seen jean and nina almost everyday. i went grocery shopping with them and they invited me upstairs to their apartment a couple times, too. their apartment is strange looking. none of the furniture really matches except for the fact that all of it is old and beaten up and every style seems to go against the other in a battle for dominance. their kitchen is small and they have a very fat, very old cat named marie antoinette that only shows up every two days or so, except for in the form of dead rodents, angry neighbors, and hair.

i asked them once where they thought she went everyday.

"i have this theory where she has these little violent episodes where she forgets who she is and where she lives and freaks out and tries to kill everyone. then she gets over them and comes back for food," jean explained. "it's a vicious cycle."

today jean joined me at the café for coffee.

"where's nina?"

"oh, she's on a date right now." he waggled his eyebrow suggestively.

i couldn't help my cheeks from getting a little pink. "i didn't know she had a boyfriend."

"she doesn't have a boyfriend."

"what? you just said she was on a date?"

"nina is dating julie from the flower cart."

oh. "sorry, i didn't know she was gay."

"it's alright."

"to be honest, i thought you two were dating when i first saw you," i said, laughing slightly.

he laughed loudly. "are you kidding me?"

madame leroux came by to tell us kindly to shut up and refill our drinks.

"and when am i going to meet your girlfriend?" jean asked me, taking a sip of coffee.

my cheeks reddened. "i don't have one."

"really?"

"yeah."

"you'll find someone. you're a catch," he said. my cheeks became increasingly red and i let my head hang. "handsome, funny, friendly."

"uh, thank you, jean."