Chapter 25- Death's Door

in multimedia is the trailer I made for catching feelings ages ago but forgot to post so there it is

James' POV

I leaned all the way back in my chair, staring angrily at the photo that sat on my desk.

In the photo, she had a bright smile on her face. But I knew better. I knew that smile was just a front. It was hiding her true self.

She was selfish.

She was cruel.

She was heartless.

She abandoned me.

And I could and would never forgive her.

As I continued to glare at her picture, my phone began ringing on the table. I grabbed it quickly, assuming it was Mia calling to tell me she was almost home.

But instead of Mia's contact name popping up on the screen, the word 'private' did instead.

Why would a private number be calling me?

Hesitantly, I answered.

"Hello. Is this Mr. James Stiller?" The voice asked.

"I am. Who is this?"

"This is Nancy from Blue Spirit Hospital. I'm calling because one of our patients has you listed as their emergency contact." She replied.

Emergency contact? Who would list me for that?

"May I ask who the patient is?"

"Ms. Mia Murray."

My whole body tensed as I shot up out of my chair.

Mia?

"I-Is she alright?" I asked.

But I already knew the answer to that. Because if Mia was indeed okay, she would've just called me herself. So the fact that the hospital had to call me meant that she was hurt.

"For security reasons, I can't answer that question over the phone."

"Can you at least tell me if she's alive?" I asked exasperated.

"Listen, Mr. Stiller," She began, voice lowering, "Ms. Murray was in a serious accident and I'm not legally allowed to say how she's doing, but I can say that you should get here as soon as possible."

After that, the line when dead.

And that's when I lost it.

I flipped my desk over on its side, all the papers and other items that were once on it now on the floor.

Angrily walking over to my bookshelves, making sure not to disturb the wires or photos hanging from the walls, I knocked over the bookshelves and watched all the books tumble to the floor. After flipping three more bookshelves, I reached the last one and grabbed on to the shelves, ready to wreak havoc upon it.

But then my eyes met Mia's in a framed picture of her that sat on the shelf.

And that's when all the anger I had melted away.

I had to get to that hospital. I had to be there for her.

I would never forgive myself if I was here destroying my house while Mia sat in a hospital bed drawing her last breaths and I wasn't there for her.

I couldn't let that happen.

Stepping over the mess I created, I bolted out of my office and into the foyer.