15.

CHAPTER | FIFTEEN

I laughed and shook my head as I leaned away. "No more! I'm going to swell up like a balloon."

Kris chuckled and dropped the grape. She leaned on the counter and pursed her red lips. "How's Drakon, by the way?"

I lifted a light box on the counter and started taking out the boxes of band aids. "He's okay. He complains every day that I pick him up late, though."

Kris picked up a box and examined the back. "But you always get there before the teacher takes them in."

"I know, but he likes to be the first to leave." I sighed.

Since Javon left a month ago, I was forced to find a job, which I didn't mind. I had been meaning to get a job for years, but Javon never liked it when I worked. Mr. Steven helped me out and got me a job in a small family business pharmacy.

It wasn't bad and since this store didn't have many customers, Kris and I took turns on who should come in or leave early. The storeowner wasn't around, so we got away with it.

Kris chuckled, pushing the box towards me and spun around, clapping her hands. She walked down the middle aisle, her boots stomping on the square patterned floor.

"Hey, do you think you could lock up today? I have a date tonight." Kris yelled from the front of the store.

"Uh, what time do we close today?" I asked, yanking the tape out of the box.

"Sssix! Wait. Yeah, six."

"Okay then. I'll close up."

Kris came back around and slapped on a smile as the bell over the door rung. I took the flattened box to the back room, leaving her to deal with the customer. I threw it where all the other boxes and groaned when I remembered today the recycling truck was coming.

I sighed loudly and started gathering the boxes. I kicked open the back door and put a brick to hold it open. I started pilling the boxes outside, ignoring the chilly winds nipping at my skin.

Kris came a minute later and pointed behind her. "I'm gonna head out. You need help?"

I shook my head, struggling to hold a heavy box. "No, I'm fine. Enjoy your date!"

Kris smiled and gave me a two-finger salute. I chuckled and managed to throw out the boxes in the huge bin outside. I dusted my pants and headed to the front when I noticed someone already waiting there.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I greeted, coming to stand behind the counter.

He lifted his head and I recognized the scar that ran from his eyebrow to his cheekbone, but his name escaped me. He looked surprised to see me too as he took a step back.

"So we meet again." I commented and pointed at the bottle of rubbing alcohol and roll of band aid. "Will that be all?"

He nodded and dug through his pocket. He handed me a crumbled ten and I noticed his white sleeve was stained with red.

"Oh, my. Are you okay?" I asked concerned.

He pulled his hand away and only nodded. I frowned and handed him his items in a plastic bag. He grabbed the bag with his other hand and halfway down the lane, he stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"It was nice seeing you again."

I forced a smile and watched him leave, a guest of wind blowing his trench coat. Seconds later, an elderly man came in and waved at me.