12.

CHAPTER | TWELVE

I hummed and shook my head. "The shirt looks too tight. Get a bigger size."

Drakon went back behind the changing curtain to take off the graphic shirt of a video game and came out. "Just one size bigger?" He asked, holding the shirt up.

I nodded and Drakon jogged over to the shirt sections. My foot tapped along with a pop song as I sat. The store wasn't packed since it was morning. The best times to shop were in the mornings after all.

"Hey, mom, are we going to go to other stores?" Drakon asked when he came back with the shirt and dark blue sweatpants.

"Yes." I said, taking the pants from him. "You need new clothes for the new year and for school. Go try this on."

Drakon handed me the shirt and went behind the curtain again. I started putting all his new clothes in the shopping bag and stood up to stretch.

It was already January and I haven't seen or heard from Tristian for months. I went out to search for him multiple times, but I wasn't even sure where to look. I had tried to recreate the path where he saved me from the wolf, but after years, it became fuzzy.

I tried to remember the spots where I bumped into him, but I couldn't remember the path. Sometimes I left out the chocolate kisses outside, but they remind untouched for weeks. I visited Belle a few times. We talked about everything, but when Tristian came up, she either avoided or changed the topic. I tried not to force her to talk about anything she didn't want to. I didn't want to upset her, but I grew frustrated as weeks turned into months and gave up trying to find him.

I knew when I wasn't wanted anyway.

As for Javon, he also avoided me and Drakon. There were a few times when he came home, but it was only for a night or two. He was still hot-headed and jealous. He argued about every little thing to me and each time, he grew more violent.

Luckily, Drakon walked in the right time or I managed to escape before he could lay a hand on me.

I exhaled deeply through my nose and I started looking through the sweaters. I noticed an odd man was on the other side of the rack, staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably and looked up.

He was a tall slender man with lifeless brown eyes. His brown shoulder length hair was tied in a ponytail, but what surprised me was his faded scar. It ran from his right eyebrow to his cheek bone.

Our eyes locked for a second and I quickly looked back down, pulling out a white and gray stripe sweater.

"I don't mean to stare. You look familiar." He spoke, his voice deep and hoarse.

I lifted my head and forced a smile. "It's okay."

He held out his gloved hand over the rack of sweaters. "I'm Elijah."

I reluctantly shook his hand. "I'm Varia."

Elijah blinked and his eyes widen slightly, but before I was completely read his expression, it changed. He pulled his hand away and looked around.

"Are you from around here?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I live in the city with my son and husband." I lied, not trusting this man. "Are you?"

He shook his head and pulled something out from the rack. "No. I'm passing through and decided to stop to buy my niece's sons a new sweater."

I nodded. "That's nice of you. It seems every year, these winters get longer."

Elijah ran his tongue over his chapped lips. "It seems so. Well, it was nice meeting you, Varia."

I smiled and put the sweater back. "It was nice meeting you too, Elijah."