Prologue

I didn’t think much of the small noises at first.

     The university lab was old and the heating system could sound absolutely obnoxious at times, so I carried on ignoring the noises, flipping through all my papers. They were scattered all across the lab bench and yet I couldn’t seem to find the one I was looking for. I just needed to find the paper for Mr.Emlay to sign, to state that I was going to be doing work with him this summer. I was going to be doing some extra credit projects, once I figured one out. I had just stepped out of the room for a second and it seemed as if something had changed when I came back.

     It was the heavy breathing that caught my attention.

     I could suddenly feel the presence of someone else in the room with me, the feeling sent shivers down my spine and a sudden paranoia came over me. I felt as if every move I made was being watched. Everytime I tried to glance discretely around the dark room to become aware of my surroundings, every time my hands shook slightly from anxiety starting and every time I scorned myself for not turning on the damn light, and just not the table lamp, I knew that someone was watching me and knew they were creating this effect on me. Creating a gnawing feeling in the back of my mind, adding weight on my shoulders.

     It was when the room became silent that the impulse to turn around came over me.

     I jerked my head in the direction of the far corner, just by the open window. My eyes drawn to the furthest lab bench. I bunched my fists together as I walked towards it, clenching them tighter as I got closer. I hoped it was my imagination as I didn’t know what I would do if I found someone, I didn’t exactly know any self defense or been in this situation before.  I leaned over  the lab bench and that when I saw his haunting green eyes. I jumped back startled at first but when all he did was laugh, I let my guard down.

     “What are you doing in here?” I asked placing my hands on my hips. The boy stood up from his kneeled position, fixing his shaggy hair.

     “I was just borrowing one of these” he said as he twirling a beaker.

     “You have to sign them out” I directed him to the sign out sheet. He followed me over and I grabbed a pen looking down at the form. “What’s your student number?” His eyebrows raised in confusion at this question. “Here just give me your card and I’ll fill out everything. You shouldn’t be here anyways it’s after hours” I scoffed. I was only allowed to be here during the summer and at night because of my work with Mr.Emsay, so only a few other students doing extra credit with their professors were allowed in at this time.

     “Actually I don’t really need this, now that I think about it” He walked away picking up his backpack, which created clinking noises.

     “What’s in your backpack?” I asked reaching for it. He pulled away quickly. He didn’t look like a student here,  although he did look familiar, I never saw him around here before. “Are you stealing?” My eyes narrowed on him.

     “What if I am, what are you going to do?” he scoffed cockily, walking towards the open window.

     “I’ll call the cops” I stated firmly, he stopped in his tracks.

     “I dare you” he urged me on, his green eyes piercing right through me. I reached for my cell phone in anger. I never understood how someone could do something like steal. Then again I never really understood criminals, and as a criminology student, that was something I lacked. I could name off any fact in the book about criminals, I could solve our fake cases and tell when someone was lying but I could never for the love of God see why someone would chose to act in such a manner.

     “Or” I let myself mutter out but pulled back. I help my phone in my hand playing with the buttons. I knew what I should have done but instead I let my mind wonder. “Or” I repeated again gaining my confidence back. “You can help me with my project and I won’t call the cops.”

     His eyes widened in shock “Seriously?”

     “I’m serious, I will call the cops” I held my phone up in the air to show him.

     “Okay, calm down here Nancy Drew”  he set his bag down on the bench as he sat on the stool. “Let’s say I agree to this, what is your project about?” he asked curiously.

     “Criminal behavior” I answered.

     “I don’t know anything about that” he mentioned

     “You’re a criminal though” I half asked, and he answered with a shrug of his shoulders.

     “Actually I'm Harry”, he corrected me. “And you are?”

     “I’m Aubrey”

     “Well Aubrey, I guess I’m all yours”  

---------------

I'm giving dedications out to my favourite comments

There's a picture of how I imagine Aubrey on the side 

Thanks for reading