Fond

The Festival of Lovers had ended. It had ended on a rainy day, lord's and ladies escorted by servants who carried parasols and canopies, to shield the royalty from getting wet. There had been final meals and goodbye hugs. The ladies made plans for tea the next time the court met and the men spoke of alliances, though they made sure to talk in secret.

Kleio had not participated in any goodbyes. She had helped Eleanor and Alice pack, much to their chagrin. They did not want their lady to be seen helping them, but Kleio wouldn't take no for an answer. The festival, as beautiful as it had been, was complicated. Full of emotions and discoveries and hurt. Kleio was tired and all she had wanted was to go home.

After she and Cyris shared their kiss, she hadn't seen him for the last two days of the festival. He left daisies on her pillow every night, and that always made Kleio's heart twang in her rib cage. Perhaps she would never admit it out loud, but she had wanted to see him again.

The carriage ride home was a long one. Cyris stayed a day late, by request of the king. So Kleio rode home alone, Eleanor and Alice her only company. The ladies quietly talked about the festival, but Kleio just stared out into the rain. She wondered what lay ahead of her. She wondered what would become of Cyris and herself. She wondered what would happen when they aligned against the court. Those thoughts carried her home, accompanied her to dinner and tucked her into bed that night.

Breakfast was just as lonely as dinner. Cyris was still with the king and that left Kleio to explore on her own. The manor was huge and Kleio had not explored every room yet. Wandering through the darkened halls and shivering when she felt the cool air between the stone walls, she searched every nook and cranny that she could. Most doors were locked. Probably rooms used for storage.

Any door that wasn't locked was a servants quarters or a simple sitting room. The rooms in the south wing were all smothered in dust. Furniture and books untouched for what seemed like centuries. Kleio had hoped to find things that would help her to learn about Cyris, but when she had explored the whole manor, she found she was disappointed.

No rooms were decorated or color coordinated. They were bare and mostly empty. The manor was more books than walls. Which made sense, Cyris did love books. His study was evident of that. Thinking of his study, Kleio wondered what sort of books were in there. Clearly the ones he found most interesting.

Kleio navigated her way back to his study, her mind determined to learn about her husband. The room was just as she remembered. Walls of book cases, chairs covered in books, the window seat the only available sitting area. Papers were scattered across desks and globes sat in corners. Maps hung from the only available wall, and beneath those maps were desks covered in books. Kleio was positive it was impossible for Cyris to have read all these books. But for some reason, she found herself almost believing he could have.

In the back corner of the room there was a small bookshelf and Kleio found herself walking towards it. It would be easier to start with the smaller shelf rather than the larger ones. Once she stood before the shelf, she found it was only a walk, painted to look like a book shelf. Kleio pressed her hands against the wall and it rattled, the wood shaved beneath her fingers. It was not a wall, it was a door.

Just as Kleio thought to find a way to open this secret door, she heard footsteps and voices in the hall. A deep, quiet voice that sounded just like Cyris. Kleio's eyes widened and she ran to the window seat, snatching a book on her way. It was a history book, as expected and she wasted no time cracking it open and perching herself casually on the window seat. Her heart pounded. How angry would Cyris have been to have seen her sneaking around and trying to snoop?

The study door opened and Kleio looked up to see her husband standing there, in a dark cloak and a white suit with a surprised look on his face.

"Good afternoon," He finally said.