The First Dance

"Your majesty," Kleio immediately dropped into a curtsy, however, her foot got caught in the folds of her skirt and she tumbled in a heap to the floor. She heard the king's deep chuckle.

"Rise, my sweet child," She felt gentle warm hands on her shoulder. The king pulled her up and then stepped back, a warm smile on his face.

His auburn hair fell to his shoulders in soft waves. A bushy red beard with patches of grey framed his face. Hazel eyes sparkled with joy and laugh lines crinkled at his eyes. He wasn't too tall, but he was taller than her. Clothed in many layers of silk, embroidered fabrics he looked bigger than he actually was. His gloriously golden crown say atop his head, glowing even in the dim
light of the stone hall.

He was nothing like Kleio expected. She expected a beautiful man whose age only broadened his handsome looks. Instead, she found a man whose early wrinkles showed wisdom and kindness. She dropped her eyes to the floor and curtsied again, even though there was no need to.

"I'm so sorry, your majesty. I did not see you," Kleio's heart still raced from the startling occasion and it only quickened when she realized she might have upset him, or worse, injured him.

He shook his head, amusement written across his face,"Oh, don't worry. I'm not so easily knocked down. Where are you off to in such a hurry? Lady Kerrigan."

Kleio locked eyes with him, her mouth falling open. He knew who she was. How did he know her? He had never seen her face.

"T-the courtyard," She stuttered.

"Ah, it is a beautiful place indeed. Although, if I were going to see the garden, I would start by going in the right direction."

Kleio blushed, knowing she probably looked like a fool.

"I do not know my way around. There has been no time to learn the manor grounds," She said quietly, looking down at the floor.

The king laughed, a delightful sound. He held out his arm.

"I shall take you there. I would love a stroll in the garden. It's better than these drab old hallways," He winked at her and Kleio could not help but smile. Never in a million years had she imagined herself walking with the king. It all seemed so unreal. She accepted his arm and he began to lead her back the way she had run from.

"How is it? Being married to him," The king asked.

Kleio hesitated, uncertain of how to answer without seeming ungrateful or rude.

"I do not know him well, your highness, but he has never harmed me," Kleio said. Except for the time he cut my finger, she thought to herself. She pushed the memories away, lest she become even more aggravated with Cyris Kerrigan.

"I'm sorry you couldn't meet him before the wedding. Curse these old traditions," The king shook his head.

The halls were completely empty and Kleio assumed it was because all the servants were preparing for the night's festivities in the ball room. The king navigated them peacefully through one last hall before they arrived at a small door that led out into the courtyard.

Kleio took a deep breath of fresh air in. She felt euphoric, feeling the daylight and breathing in the grass and trees. The sky was so beautiful and the cicadas were buzzing, a sound she found quite comforting. She was smiling and surveying the beauty of the flowers surrounding them.

"You have never been out here before?" The king asked.

Kleio shook her head,"Lord Cyris has not had time to show me the courtyard."

The king pursed his lips thoughtfully and then they back to walk again.

"I love cicadas. They sing their hearts out, all day, whether they are off key or not. Such strong voices. Such constant energy," He said. He too breathed in the deep air.