CHAPTER ONE: theNIGHTMARE (II)

A/N The first chapter has been re-posted in two parts because it was over 4,000 words. This new part has enabled 5 new images to be added... AS xoxo

***Flashback to the restaurant lunch with Paul

Paul pre-ordered a sumptuous meal to be served with fine red wine. He's sitting at the centrally placed table opposite Katie, watching her eat. "I don't have much time," he gets straight to the point. "Tell me what happened."

"I told them I walked home at three and gave the exact route I took

"I told them I walked home at three and gave the exact route I took. There are people who saw me. If my statement is checked, they'll know it's true. They shouldn't work out I misled them in some parts. Are you impressed I was not found out?"

"Not particularly," Paul is nonchalant.

"Why are you being like this?" she's exasperated.

"Like what?"

"I gave a statement that protects you."

"I don't need protection."

"Everyone needs help sometime. I could help if you trust me. Tell me everything."

"Tell you what?"

"The truth about you. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth," Katie emphasises the word.

"As a Psychologist, I can tell you that being a serial murderer is a form of a slow suicide. It's deeply self destructive. That's not my style Katie."

The way her name rolls off the tip of his Irish tongue makes Katie melt inside. She wants to hear him say her name again. She wants to reach over, kiss him and breathe in his scent. But she has to concentrate, "If self destruction is not your style, what is? Who are you really?"

"I'm lots of things."

Paul's reply is loaded with meaning. Katie thinks of him as a chameleon. From Paul's journal, he strives to conform but fails. He desperately wants to be the dependable, loving husband and father at home but the addiction to enact dark fantasies and turn the body of his victims into a fetish work of art is too strong. Paul offered her a beer when his wife would not have allowed a child under eighteen to drink in the family home. From the journal there was a note about Paul facing disciplinary proceedings in relation to one of his patients. He violently wrestled her to the ground to get back his precious lock of brunette hair. What was it that made Paul write, 'I live at a level of intensity that is unparalleled, nothing could bring me back from the edge.' She wants a bite of the same forbidden fruit. Paul might not know it yet, but they are well matched. "I'm also into lots of things."

"You," he smirked, "You're a stereotype, the rebellious teenager."

"I'm so much more than someone that breaks the rules," she tries to be as sophisticated as possible as she uses her fork and knife, tucking into a delicious meal.