Chapter 8-Into The Fray

"What are those things!" Sattari yelled as she ran into the bridge from the room where she had been resting.

  "They're called Frays ." Aris said waving her to the seat beside me and Saiden.

  "And those are?" Saiden inquired rather angrily.

  "Frays are naturally occurring life forms that come from most of the Xaian moons. They absorb metals used in most software and cruiser designs." Aris growled back, clearly annoyed with our ignorance.

  "And if we don't get them off they'll absorb all the metal in this ship!" he finished sharply.

  "Leaving us to suffocate in the husk." I finished, without a doubt voicing the single thought going through everyone's head.

  "Well how do we get them off?" Sattari piped up.

  "We can't. There are too many." Aris answered, suddenly listless, putting his head in his hands and running is fingers through his disheveled hair. "We could never get them all off before they crippled us to the point beyond repair." 

I felt a fresh wave of worry and dread wash over me as the reality of what he just said hit me and sank in. We're all going to die. I know he said it before time and time again but it never seems real until you look death in the face for the first time. Honestly I've never been so terrified in my life. Not even when I was fighting for my life as well as Aris' against the drones.

Not that I would say it out loud, but it's scary to know when you're going to die and how. I really didn't have time to worry about being killed when I was fighting, so I wasn't afraid.

  "What do we do then?" Saiden asked halfheartedly.

  "I don't know, except to wait and see if they'll have mercy." Aris said more to himself than us.

  "Can't we break out of this slipstream and jump into another or-" I asked desperately only to be cut off by Aris.

  "There's no way out of this!" He partially stood and turned to look at me. "We're all going to die and its my fault..." He yelled before moaning and sinking deeper into his seat.

"Where have you seen these things before?" I demanded after a moment of thought.

  "You know what they are, where they're from, what they do and what they're called so you must have seen them before...and what do you mean its all your fault?" He bit his lip nervously and watched the frays out the window for a second then turned back to me.

  "Do you really think I've never tried to escape from Talour before?" he dryly answered my question with a question. I hate it when people do that but it did answer one of my questions.

  "I've seen them take battle cruisers in less than half an hour, killing millions in just a heart beat... I learned about them during my in software technician... and then experienced them first hand." he shuddered at some horrible thought or memory but continued.

"It's all my fault because I knew about them, but using frays in assault was outlawed six years ago. I never thought they'd be cruel enough to do this" the last part he whispered miserably. I stood abruptly and glanced at them.

  "I don't know about you guys but I am NOT dying today, not after all the years I worked for this." I spoke up as a plan was starting to form in my mind, it isn't the greatest plan ever thought up but I'm desperate, crazy and a little scared. But adrenalin is pumping through my veins now, chasing away my fear.

  "Well let's hear it then." Saiden prodded at me impatiently. I smiled and relayed my almost insane plan to them.

  "Are you insane?!" Sattari exclaimed wringing her tail.

  "Yeah probably. Yet nobody else has come up with anything better. But what other choice do we have really? If we don't fly to their ship we'll die, this one's going down anyway so we have nothing to lose." I explained secretly very proud of myself for making so much sense when honestly I felt like breaking down myself.

  "How will we do that? We only have two jets and not enough power left to carry two people each." Aris pointed out, he'd been slumped in his chair like a delinquent, but he's been listening apparently. I reached up and started to pull on a tuff of hair near my ear while I thought about the problem. I was soon interrupted by a loud unnatural creaking coming from the hull.

  An idea entered my head and I looked at Aris pointedly before gesturing over my shoulder. He scrunched up his brow, clearly not understanding what I meant. I huffed and turned my back to him so that he could see me slightly twitch my wings under my shirt. He got the message, nodded and then silently waved my forward, encouraging me to tell Saiden and Sattari about my wings.

During this silent exchange both of them had been watching us strangely. I can't say I really blame them either. I wanted to tell, them but I couldn't find the right words. After several stuttering tries I stopped and said,

  "Please don't freak out" It was then that I pulled out my wing and extending them as far as the bridge walls would allow.

I was expecting them to flip out on me, but they were surprisingly calm. Must've had something to do with the fear of death and the heavy dose of shock they currently had in them. Sure they had lots of questions in their eyes, but they didn't say a word. They let it sink in and we began getting ready to depart.

A/N: Hey there, sorry I haven't updated in forever but I have been in horrible pain since the Wednesday before Christmas. I pulled a lot of muscles in my shoulder and chest on my left side, so it was really hard to breath, sleep, write, eat, ect. ...You really never realize how much you need to breath in till you can't.

  It was so bad my mom thought my lung had collapsed and took me to the doctor. I nearly suffocated in the waiting room with two freakishly annoying five year old boys and their mom. Never thought I'd go out that way... -_-

Then I waited forever in the room where the doctor was going to see me while having to listen to a sick screaming baby in the next room so yeah not a good experience...I hate doctors.

  Anyways I'm better now and ready to write more.(I have been better for a week now but I ran into writers block and I was really busy.) FYI this is not an excuse its an explanation. Yep so I'm totally whelmed with all the reads I got so far (young justice reference) I was like "hello M'gan!" (sorry to anyone who does not know what the fudge I'm talking about:) to the people who do understand what I'm talking about YOUNG JUSTICE ROCKS!!!!! ok rant over. Happy new year my yellow minions!!!!

                                                                                         Sincerely,

                                                                                                          TheFox