Chapter Five

-Ares-

     "No, you stay lying down," I tell Aph as I walk towards the door.

     "But, my vision is coming back..." She started to protest but I cut her off.

     "And your ankle is still healing, you can see again thank goodness but you still can't walk. I will be back in less than an hour, we are just out of food." I smile at her and she finally lies back down.

     "Fine, I will stay here." She grumbles closing her eyes, I smile and head out the door.

                                                            -Aphrodite-

     Once he closes the door I allow myself to relax. I think back to when I tried to see but couldn't. I had asked Ares why I couldn't see anything. He had told me it was night time, but I could hear the sounds from the house we were in. I called him a liar and he laughed. He had me close my eyelids since they weren't helping me at the moment. When I had fallen asleep in the middle of him telling me about what would happen the next day, I didn't dream of anything, not that I remembered anyway.

     I woke up and opened my eyes, I could see again but it was in blacks, whites, and grays. When I saw Ares asleep on the floor in just a pair of jeans I smiled. He opened his eyes then and relief flooded his face and for the next hour, he and I tried to figure out why I had lost my sight. We came up with nothing but maybe something was in the water or I almost drown shutting off all functions in my body. Colors started to return just before he left, but he was right my ankle was still a mess but I needed to go to the bathroom.

     I open my eyes and I sit up, biting my lip to keep from making any sounds. I stand up, not putting a lot of weight on my ankle, but some. I wince in pain but I am able to hobble to the bathroom and after that to the kitchen for a drink. On my way back to the couch I see a pad of what looks like old, scroll-like paper. I pick it up and bring it back to the couch with my glass of water. I sigh when I sit, propping my ankle back up on a stack of pillows. I look at the paper for a few minutes then smile coming up with a crazy idea.

     I lean over and pick up a black pen off the table next to the couch. I start to write as I used to when I was younger. I would write letters to an imaginary friend of mine, and at the time I could write in Calligraphy. I began to write and before I knew it I had written Dear Ares, I guess my mind was in a different space than me. Just after I had finished writing the last words, I had heard Ares on the porch. I quickly put the paper and pen under the couch and closed my eyes pretending to sleep as Ares opened the door.

                                                             -Rachel-

     "Where the hell are they?" I say as I pace from the bathroom door to the front door and back again. Pol and Sean just sit on the floor watching me, afraid if they say anything that I will hurt one of them. Good fear is healthy for people. I turn to look at both of them and they flinch. I laugh a very bitter sounding laugh. Then I close my eyes, taking a deep breath trying to calm my nerves.

     "Rachel, I-I think they will be back soon." Pol stutters softly, not wanting me to hit him again. I walk towards him and when I am right in front of him, he flinches away from me.

     "If your friend is not back by dusk we are going out and looking for them. Got it?" I say in a cold clipped voice towards both of them. They both nod and I smile sweetly. "Glad we are in agreement." Then I go back to pacing.

                                                                    -Aphrodite-

     Ares and I talked a lot about ourselves and I told him as much as I was willing to tell him. I felt bad for having to lie to him but I still didn't trust him. You would think I would since he was the one who saved me from the bottom of the lake. I was walking more and Ares was finally letting me walk to the bathroom on my own, thank goodness.

     Who knew so much could happen in only three days, I didn't. I thought about Rachel for the first time since I almost drowned and thought, I am a suckish friend. She may be worried about me while I am out in the middle of the forest eating ham and cheese omelets cooked by a hot guy who tried to blackmail me but then saved me. Yep, my life is screwed up officially.

     "What do you want to eat?" I hear Ares call from the kitchen after I open my eyes. It was dark outside. I sigh and inwardly curse myself for sleeping the day away.

     "Well, what do you have to eat?" I call back sitting up and grabbing a brush on the table next to me. I start to brush my hair when Ares walked into the living room. I looked up at him and he smiles.

     "I could make you soup, pasta, or steak." He sits in the recliner as he lists the food.

     "Steak sounds great if you don't mind," I say looking away fighting off a blush, why does he affect me this way? He laughs and stands up.

     "That's fine." He goes back into the kitchen once more. I hear him pulling out pans and taking things out of the fridge and pantry as well. I close my eyes using my ears to follow his movements. My eyesight was back to normal again but I used my ears a lot now.

     "How do you want your steak?" He says breaking my concentration.

     "Medium rare please," I say opening my eyes giving up. Around twenty minutes later he comes in with my steak, a plum, and a glass of water. I smile and laugh softly. "Bring me enough did you?" I ask as he sets it down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

     "I could make you more." He says smiling sitting next to me as I shake my head.

     "No this is enough. Thank you, for everything Ares." I look into his ice blue eyes as I say it and he smiles and hugs me putting his lips to my ear.

     "Even for this?" He whispers in my ear before he gently kisses me. My eyes go wide but after a minute I relax and kiss him back. He pulls back just far enough to be able to talk.

     "Yes, even for that," I tell him as I blush brightly. He kisses me again smiling and I don't hold back this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Ares was asleep upstairs when I pulled out my pad of paper and wrote another letter. Geez, these sounded like hopeless love letters, gag me. Once I finish the letter I feel better though, that is kinda sad. I stand up, my ankle only complains a little. I go outside as quietly as I can, and using the fence that the ivy wraps around to grow, I climb up to the roof. My ankle is throbbing by the time I lay back staring at the stars. The roof is wet from the rain we had earlier today but I didn't mind the wet sensation of my jeans and t-shirt soaking up the cool water against my back. It actually cools me down some.

      "Sneaking out are we." I freeze when I sit up seeing Ares climbing up the ivy ladder.

     "N-not sneaking out, just enjoying the fresh air," I say trying to think of why I had come out here in the first place.

     "You sure you aren't just trying to run away again?" He hides his expression from me and I sit up straighter.

     "I am not running anymore, I can't for one and even if I could I am not sure I would," I tell him closing my eyes. I feel him grab my chin lightly and I force my eyes to try to close more.

     "Aph, look at me. Please." Maybe it was his please or just because I was stupid. I opened my eyes and looked at him fighting a blush. "Do not hide that beautiful face." He says as he pulls me closer to him.

     "What are we getting ourselves into Ares?" I ask him meaning for my voice to be louder but it comes out a whisper.

     "Trouble, that's what we are getting into." Then he smiles down at me and I knew I wouldn't mind this trouble.