Chapter Two

-Aphrodite-

     Ares smiled and looked straight at me, and I felt his stare go into the depths of my soul like he could see my every sin. I was so shocked I didn't hear him ask me to move over, when he arches an eyebrow at me, I realize I had been staring at him like a deer in headlights.

     "Huh?" I asked intelligently.

     "Would you mind sharing your seat?" he smiled and I nodded, scooting over, letting him sit down. I look away, setting my leather bag between my feet. I feel like I lost a hundred IQ points that time, damn. I hear Rachel talking to the other two guys, so I look threw my auburn hair to see both guys turned around in the seat in front of Rachel talking to her. I roll my eyes and almost forget that Ares was sitting next to me, almost.

     "You don't like that my friends are speaking to your friend?" I think he meant it to be a statement but it came out like a question. I turn and look into his dark, endless eyes. His eyes looked curious and there was another emotion there that I couldn't pinpoint. I think I starred too long because he raised a nicely trimmed black eyebrow at me again. I quickly looked away to hide a blush. Then before I got to say anything, the bus stopped for the first stop, Rachel's stop. She stood up and got off quickly throwing a good-bye over her shoulder. The two guys got off the bus with her, not even looking at Ares when they leave. I watched suspiciously, I haven't been alive as long as I have to play by coincidence. I look at Ares threw my hair, to see his face empty and watching me. I wonder what he was thinking about.

     "Sean and Pol won't hurt your friend." his voice was soft, and I looked at him full on so he could see my eyes, and I knew my grey eyes had this natural cold look in them, that didn't seem to affect Ares in the slightest. Call me insane but I'm just not very trusting.

     "What kind of name is Pol?" I had to ask, my curiosity overrode my caution, plus I needed him distracted enough so that way I can think straight.

     "It is short for Polguaniak." He was speaking to me but his mind was somewhere else. He seemed even older now, he looked almost in pain. I opened my mouth then closed it to keep from saying something stupid to offend his friend's name. I was still suspicious but I can be suspicious and try not to be rude. Once the bus got to my stop neither one of us had said anything else. I got up and motioned for him to move so I could leave. He stood up and moved out of my way but after I moved in front of him and started down the aisle. I heard him following behind me and my suspicion grew, but I keep silent pretending I didn't hear him. I said good-bye to the bus driver and got off. But instead of walking to my apartment, I walked towards a field in the opposite direction. He didn't need to know where I lived but he needed to know not to get near me or Rachel ever again.

------

     I walked into a beautiful dandelion field, a few miles away from my apartment and a good fifteen minutes away from populated areas. I used to come here just to think when we first moved here, but I haven't been back to see it in some time. The dandelions speckled the field in a bright yellow, and the prairie grass is taller than it was, it's now up to my shoulders.

     I turned around and saw the startled look on his face as I walked towards him. I realize his eyes are a sapphire blue in that moment staring into his wide eyes, easily mistaken for black eyes. Though I was trying to be less occupied with my hormones and more into survival, it wasn't working too well though.

     "What do you want." my voice came out in a low hiss, I was hoping for more calm, but angry is fine with me.

     "I-I..." I gave him my coldest look while he searches for an excuse to tell me. It's the only look that ever got Rachel to listen to me.