Chapter Three

She’d opened her eyes a few hours later to a loud crash. Everything ran through her head; burglar, earthquake, sonic boom. Of course, it was none of the above. Instead it was something so startlingly obvious that Kate hadn’t noticed until her brain had cleared from her nightmare torn sleep; the stack, so precariously balanced, had fallen and Kate was staring into a mirror that had dust marks and one ghostly face staring back. Kate crawled across to the base of the fallen stack, just to sit at the bottom and continue staring at the sallow skeleton that replied with a glazed dead look. That was her. She wasn’t the repulsive thing she’d thought she’d become but the complete opposite, with the same effect. Yes, she felt repulsive; why? Because her dad would hate what she’d done to herself. Silence reigned in Kate’s house, as well as in her head. She didn’t think, just stared at the girl in oversized clothes –they were an eight and she was by then less than a six- with her deathlike pallor. Eventually Kate reached for a photo of her and her friends, making comparisons immediately. There was a girl smiling there; she had rosy cheeks and shining eyes, glossy hair and the beginnings of what could have been the perfect hourglass shape. The reflection she saw now was all ribs and spine with no emotion or colour. That was where she’d been for all that time; shrinking, failing to even smile. Everything she’d felt had stayed inside because her face wasn’t up to the job of showing emotion without distorting it. What had she done? Kate tried to understand through the thick fog in her head, but it was too hard for her sluggish thought process. But she knew one thing; it was time to sort her size out, or she was not going to survive for much longer.

Hello :) I know it's only a short one but I hope you enjoyed it... Now, choices, lovely painful choices! I am writing two different endings for Kate's Demons, and I want to know which one people think is the better, though I will keep both up here in case there's a division in the ranks :P Please keep reading and I promise they'll be more soon! Happy reading, HMBartle xx