9: Wished for a Mate: Never Again

Chapter eleven

It was you, who chose to end it like you did

I was the last to know

You knew exactly what you would do

And don't say, you simply lost your way

She may believe you but I never will

Never again

-Never Again by Kelly Clarkson      

      I was having a lot of fun, until I saw him. Time seemed to freeze for me. He was laughing as he danced with a beautiful girl. I assumed this was his “mate”.

         “Ella?” Daniel followed my gaze to Damen. He looked at him and then me and him again and me again. “Ella?” Is that—is that your mate?” He asked, but I was transfixed by Damen and unable to speak. Suddenly Damen turned to meet my eyes. We both stood there staring at each other. The girl next to him turned and looked between us. She grabbed his arm as Daniel said; “I’ll take that as a yes.” As he turned away, so did I. He went back to dancing, but his previous smile was replaced by confusion. Suddenly Daniel grabbed my arm and pulled me into him and kissed me. I stood there, shocked. I turned to look at Damen, who looked pissed and emitted a low growl. I quickly pulled Daniel out of the room with me.

        “What was that?” I hissed at him.

        “I’m not going to let him break your heart again. If he wants you he’ll fight for you.” I was touched, but still angry with him.

        “How is kissing me going to help?”

        “Well you could pretend to be my girlfriend, so he thinks you’re taken. He’ll fight harder. And I do like you that way anyway.” He blushed and turned away. I was stunned. He liked me? I blushed too. Suddenly there was a noise and Damen and his “mate” came out. 

         “Damen, why are we even out here?” She said in a whiny voice. He looked at me and she followed his eyes. She glared at me. I glared right back.

          “Come on Ella, let’s go inside.” Daniel said. Damen glared at Daniel.

          “You can’t make her do something she doesn’t want to do.” Damen growled. Safe to say, I went inside with Daniel. We danced and danced and then I wanted to leave, I was so tired. We were halfway to our room, when I realized I had forgotten my purse in the ballroom.

          “I’ll come with you.”

          “No, that’s okay, I’ll just be a second.” I walked back to the ballroom. There was nobody in there. I walked to the snack table where I was sure I had left my purse. It wasn’t there.

          “Looking for this?” Damen walked into the room with my purse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it’s short, but I have a fever.

Komal