Chapter 4

For a long time, we saw many sets of footsteps upon the snow, but soon we only saw one small set. "Well, this kid is definitely trying to go to the Temple." Varric said as he looked up from the ground.

"The question now is 'why?'." I responded.

Varric looked up at me and then asked, "Culprit returning to the scene of the crime?"

"Accomplice more like." I replied, "He said he needed the staff to 'find his friend'."

Varric put his hand on his chin as if deep in thought as he said, "So the kid ran to the camp, stole a staff, ran towards the Temple of Sacred Ashes to find his friend, but if that's the case...?"

"Where's the friend?" I finished for him. We both looked out towards the Temple.

"Guess there's only one way to find out." Varric said as we ventured towards the boy's destination.

The more and more we followed the footprints, the more we found that they seemed to be maneuvering as if the boy was avoiding something, but what? We soon received our answer as we heard the voices of guards nearby.

"Shit I forgot that Cassandra told Curly to post soldiers out here." Varric said under his breath.

I looked around, trying to find where the footsteps led next. "It seems like our friend learned this as well." I whispered as I pointed up the mountain.

Varric's eyes went wide with shock as he looked towards where I pointed. "Don't tell me we have to go up there?!" he hissed at me, "I heard that a whole group was sent up there a few hours ago and no one's heard back from them yet!"

Not a word passed my lips as I began to climb up the mountain side. "Maker what have I gotten myself into this time?" I heard Varric say under his breath.

When I reached the height where the footsteps ended, I could not see any more prints in the snow. I looked down and saw just how high up I actually was and felt my legs begin to feel slightly weak. I shook the thought of falling out of my head and watched as Varric finished climbing the last few set rocks and stand beside me.

"Remember to tell me the next time you want to chase someone to not join you." he said as he was trying to catch his breath. He then stood up as straight as his back would allow and said, "So, where to next Solas?"

I looked around, trying to see if there was something I was missing. If the footprints ended, then there must be a reason why. It wasn't until I leaned on my staff that I realized that I was standing on flat ground. If there was flat ground on this piece of the mountain, then that meant I must be standing on a path of some sort.

"Varric," I began, "If you were trying to avoid the guards and found yourself on a strangely flat path on a mountain, what would you do?"

Varric looked at me confused at first, but then realized where I was going with this thought and replied, "If I was young, stupid, and most likely didn't know where I was going, I would follow the path I just found as far as I could."

"Exactly, that's what everyone would expect yes? But one would also expect him to keep running past the guards if he didn't know where he was going." I said, "Also notice how there isn't any snow here, while the rest of the mountain is covered with it."

"Meaning he's knows exactly where he's going and how to avoid the guards." Varric replied, "And that either he's come this way often enough that there isn't any snow left, or, considering he is most likely a mage..."

"He melted it." I finished as I examined the ground beneath us.

Varric looked down the path and continued, "If that were the case, then I would go down the path until there was a point that I could go back down."