Scene 5: Cassie's Confession

Cassie found an empty table alongside the track and perched herself on the high stool. Beating poor Noah in the race had been so much fun. The speed, the sharp turns, the long straight expanses, the power of all that machinery had thrilled her like nothing else. Growing up, her parents had often brought her and her brothers to race tracks like this one. The sights, the smells, simply being here brought back many happy memories. Memories to replace the bad ones from last Valentine’s Day. Noah couldn’t have planned things better had he known.

She watched him weave through the crowd, his hands full of deli sandwiches, chips, and drinks. He really was a nice guy. For a nerd. Although, she had to admit, he didn’t look so nerdy today. Her stomach did an odd little flip and she pressed a hand to it. Was she coming down with something?

Noah set their lunch on the table. “I hope you like turkey. That’s all they had left.”

“Turkey’s fine.” She unwrapped her sandwich, then met his gaze. “Thanks for thinking of this. I’m having a great time.”

He squinted at her, as though searching her face. “You sure? Most girls don’t like go-karting.”

“Well, I’m not most girls. If you thought I wouldn’t like it, why’d you bring me here?”

He lifted a shoulder in a cute little shrug. “I figured it was as far from wining and dining as I could get.”

She laughed at the wry expression on his face. “This is so much better. And at least I can be sure you won’t end up boinking the waitress in a backroom while I sit here waiting for you.”

His eyes widened. “Wow. That happened?”

“Yeah,” she said, turning to watch the karts tear by on the track. Why the heck had she brought it up? “I don’t want to talk about it.”

He tugged on her chin until their gazes met. “Whoever he was, he didn’t deserve you.”

Her throat tightened, and her eyes burned. Noah was right. Drew hadn’t deserved her, but the hurt remained. Not that her relationship with Drew merited a year of mourning. He’d been an ass, and only her bruised pride was keeping the hurt alive. She had to let it go.

A sip of her drink helped unclamp her constricted throat. “You’re right. I’ve been moping long enough. It’s time to move on. Besides, there are a lot of more worthy men in the world. I just have to start looking for one.”

Noah continued to stare at her, his expression arrested. Feeling uncomfortable, she smiled and bit into her sandwich. He seemed to shake off whatever thoughts he’d been stuck on and smiled back. “I’m glad to hear that. You’re a great girl. Someone special will come along soon.”

“From your mouth to God’s ears,” she said.

He tipped his head back and mouthed something. Something that looked suspiciously like “Please.”