Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I wasn’t quite sure how to feel about Levi’s sudden arrival into both my house and my life. My mind was a mixture of flying thoughts and emotion and I wasn’t used to the tension that hung in the air every time he was around. Tension mixed with something I recognized but couldn’t quite put my finger on.

He was stood there beside the front door looking at the family photos Megan had scattered across the wall with an odd look on his face. He was wearing black jeans and a grayish blue shirt which fit his chest snuggly, emphasizing his lean build. From the outside he looked like your average young adult, well maybe a little too good looking to be average, but all together normal. On the inside I was sure that there was definitely something not right about him.

“I’d tap that.” Selena murmured, snapping me out of my thoughts. I tried desperately to hold back a scoff at her words just as Levi’s eyes flicked up to lock onto mine.

Selena and I slowly got up and made our way down the stairs to greet him, both of us slightly miffed at the fact that our ogling had been interrupted.

“Uh…Hi Levi.” I mumbled when we reached him. Well how else was I supposed to greet him? I was still sure that he was some weird mind talking stalker. “Uh…Levi, this is Selena. Selena, Levi.”

Selena smiled at him flirtatiously and stepped forward. “Hey there.”

“Hi,” he nodded at her before turning back to me. “Riley, are you free today?” I raised an eyebrow at him. “I was thinking we could go get someone lunch or ice cream or something…”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Selena’s smile falter. I guess she wasn’t used to being blown off like that, especially by a guy.

“I don’t think I’m free at all today…” I pretended to look as if I was thinking about it before giving him a sarcastic smile. “Nope sorry; I’m completely busy.”

“How about now then? Are you free to go for a quick five minute walk?” Alone?” Once again, his question was directed at me but his eyes flicked up to meet Selena’s when he spoke the last word.

“No…I have guests.” I replied slowly as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, which it was considering Selena was stood not even three feet away.

“Yeah, I see that. But I really think you should come with me for a little while.” His voice sounded so persuasive that for a second I almost changed my mind and agreed to walk with him, the very least I could do was stare at him blankly.

Selena must’ve noticed my vacant expression because she suddenly nudged me with her elbow snapping me out of the odd trance. I blinked a couple of times before frowning at him, there’s definitely something wrong about this guy.

“I think you should leave.” Selena muttered, sensing my unease. She was such a good friend; I have no idea what I would’ve done without her. Well, that’s what I thought before she uttered her next words. “You’re not really her type.” I almost choked.

Levi raised an eyebrow at her in mockery. “You think…you think I’m asking her out on a date?” He barked out a humorless laugh. “Why on earth would I do that?”

I honestly couldn’t have cared less whether he was asking me out on a date or not – I would’ve send no – but his evident distaste of the idea of dating me caused a wave of humiliation to rush through me, soon followed by a second wave of anger.

Selena sensed this change within me and quickly excused herself. “Uh, Riley, it seems like you have control over the situation so…I’ll just leave you to it. Bye Levi.” And with that she disappeared upstairs to my room.