Chapter Thirty-Five

35VA Chapter Thirty-Five (Dawn's POV)

I couldn't help it, even with Edmond, my parents, and over twenty guardians flanking me as we neared the caves. There is something in the back of my mind, nagging at me, but what exactly was that nagging about, I have no idea. At the ominous feeling that is eating me up from the guts, I almost wanted to turn back despite everything that was done. It wasn't because of myself. It was for the guardians, my parents, and Edmond.

Edmond didn't even get to live his life as a proper, promised guardian. Am I right to just take him along? And the other guardians. They were all experienced warriors, who had contributed to many heroic actions throughout their years as guardians, could I just risk their lives? What about my parents? I love them. They were the best parents anyone could get, how can I just... bring them into the wolf's cave?

Subconsciously, my feet brought me to a halt. My mind started reeling, was it cold feet I was getting or plain worry for everyone joining me?

"Dawn? What's wrong?" My dad, ever so efficient and alert, asked.

I stared up at him. "Daddy... I... what if one, or-or worse, what if... what if some... died?" I was certain that my voice held some tremble as I spoke.

"Then we die."

"Then the others will move on for the Jewel."

"Then let it be."

"Then it is how it should be."

Several guardians from behind spoke up when my dad hesitated in answering. Turning around, what I see, were not just guardians. They were warriors, military knights. None showed fear, even though every single one knows that they may not lived to see the next sun rise.

"Dawn. Do you even know why we joined you and your mom instead of using force to bring you two back to Court?" My dad asked. I shook my head. Isn't it just because they knew that I will escape again?

"Because we all know, and trust you to be able to get the Jewel this time. You can deny it. Your mom and I can deny it. But you are special, you have something other dhampirs don't. Magic. And not just one element like all Moroi does, but all elements." My dad explained.

"So. Because of magic, you guys gave me all your trust? Having magic doesn't mean that I'm invincible!" I exclaimed, incredulous over the reason I was given.

"No. It is not because of the magic. It is also the same reason to why we didn't protest when idea and idea was turned down while planning. You are our Queen, whether or not you believe it. We see it for ourselves, we felt our lives connected to yours back at the Court the other day. It is not only because we trust you, but we want to protect you." Guardian Herrick said.

"Whether or not you are our Queen. You being Dawn, a dhampir, a daughter of our own people, we will protect." Another guardian, Guardian Kaden spoke, cutting of my protest.

My mom placed her hand on my shoulder, squeezing comfortingly. "So what is your concern?"

"Why... why does nobody seemed afraid of death?"

At my question, all guardians, including my parents burst out laughing. Even Edmond was smiling, eyes shinning with amusement.

"Dawn. We are the creators of death in a way. Why should we be afraid? Furthermore, we trained since young with 'they come first', which means we are constantly putting our lives in danger. We were, in a way, trained since young to not be afraid of death." Guardian Herrick said.

Turning back to my parents, I saw their smiles. Though they were smiling, I saw the bitterness within it. This was what Aunt Lissa was fighting for. The Jewel. The Jewel that is going to help Aunt Lissa in ruling, and changing the lives of dhampirs for the better. Seeing all the faith these guardians, my parents and Edmond have in me, I have to succeed.