Interview : ElleStrauss

What's your name? (or nickname, if you don't prefer to give your name away).

A: My name is Elle Strauss. I also write under the name Lee Strauss

What are your major works so far?

A: The Clockwise Series and The Perception Trilogy

What draws you to the genre(s) you write?

A: I'm drawn to stories that are clever and well written. I don't really care about the genre so much, but I am a sucker of a dose of romance. :)

What are you working on at the moment?

A: I'm working on a new series as Lee Strauss call The Minstrel Series. It is a collection of contemporary romance companion novels set in the singer-songwriter world.

Which writers inspire you?

A: Jane Austin, Veronica Roth, Susan Kaye Quinn and a lot of other Indie Authors

What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?

A: I just wanted to.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea takes you?

A: a little of both. I always start with a bare bones structure outline (see my non-fiction writing tips book here on Wattpad, Crafting Your Best Story), but there is a lot of discovery that happens in the writing.

What is the hardest and the easiest thing about writing?

A: the hardest thing is starting and finishing. The easiest thing is loving it when you get in the "zone."

Do you ever get writer’s Block? If you do, how do you win over it?

A: Yes. Going for a brisk walk seems to work well. I take my iphone and stop to enter ideas on the notepad when I get unblocked.

Do you proofread / edit all your own books or do you get someone to do that for you?

A: both. I proof read, get a friend to proof read and hire editors.

How do you handle hate mail or negative comments (if you get any at all)?

A: always ignore hate mail and negative comments. Always. Never engage with a reviewer.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it have been and why?

A: I'm not sure

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

A: write a lot and read a lot. Get involved in Critique Circle - an online group where you help each other critique work. You learn a lot by critiquing others and by having them critique you.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

A: make sure it stays fun!

What were / are you like at school? Were you good at English?

A: I was a pretty good student, got decent grade. I didn't mind English, but it wasn't my favorite class. I'm actually not a very good speller :) (don't tell anyone:))