Sick

So it's Halloween, and instead of getting dressed up and going out to college parties, here you are lying in your bed on the brink of death.

Okay, maybe a little dramatic, but you've had this cold for three days now and it's reached a point where you can't even stand up and keep your balance because your ears are so blocked. Everything feels foggy, you can't taste food - which is really upsetting because you love food - and you can't get any of your assignments done. It's stressing you out which is only making everything ten times worse.

Hearing a key turning in the door to your dorm, you slowly roll onto your back so you can see who it is.

Lauren.

Lauren's your roommate and you couldn't have been more lucky to be bunked with her. She's studying art and music, two of your favorite things, and it doesn't hurt that she has an incredible singing voice.

"Hey Y/N, how are you feeling?" she asks while approaching the end of your bed, sitting down at the edge. Her hand touches your feet that are hidden under the duvet, and it brings you somewhat of a comfort.

"Been better. My throat is really starting to hurt now" you manage to reply, your voice hoarse.

"Yeah you don't sound so good babe" she giggles, and yousmile at her pet name.

No, you aren't dating and you don't like each other in that way. Lauren is just a very loving and affectionate person and loves to call people sweet names like babe, baby, sweetheart, you get the idea.

"I don't feel so great either" you admit before curling up into a ball as a way of nausea hits you.

Youcan't get up, and you know you won't actually throw up, but the pain in your stomach is enough to make you wince slightly.

"Wow, Y/N just take some deep breaths. Holding your breath is only gonna make the pain worse" you hear Lauren say, but her voice sounds distant.

A soft hand starts rubbing circles on your lower back, almost immediately easing the pain.

"You good?" she asks after a moment, and you open your eyes to see her smiling down at you, a bottle of water in her free hand which she gestures for you to take.

You nod in response and try to sit up, groaning when you fail in doing so.

"Little sips, don't drink too much or you'll throw up" she tells you, and you find yourself rolling your eyes at her mom-like attitude.

You watch as Lauren settles down on her bed that sits opposite yours, and you scrunch your eyebrows.

"Aren't you going to Demi's party tonight? You gotta get ready" you say, still watching the brunette as she pulls out her laptop.

"Nah, I'm gonna stay here and help you with your essays. I know you've kind of been freaking out over it" she replies, looking at you for a moment to see your reaction.

"What? Lauren no, you can't do that" you protest, forcing yourself to sit up, but only managing to make yourself dizzy, causing Lauren to rush over to your side to help steady you.

"I can and I will. Let someone take care of you for once Y/N" she replies softly while guiding you to lay back down. "Now, let's start with your algebra homework since I know you can't count for shit" she jokes, causing you to giggle at her brutal honesty.

"Laur, I'm serious. I don't want you missing out on the fun, I'll be fine--"

"Y/N, I wouldn't be having any fun knowing that you're here alone and sick. I'd rather spend my time with you, so please let me" she says, and the puppy dog look in her eyes forces you into silence.

You can't say no to that.

"Okay, so algebra..."