Chapter Twenty-Two

Cold was an understatement. Frost covered every inch of the ground, coating plants and bushes in a thin veil of white. The ground was hard and pale, still damp in a few places from the chill morning air. Even the ocean looked gray and disheartening underneath the gloomy overcast skies. Freezing was more like it.

Dad and Luke jumped up and down in their oversized coats to keep warm, their breaths coming out as white puffs in the air. "It's too early," Luke grumbled.

"It's only seven," I pointed out. "Would you rather be getting ready for school?"

He shook his head vigorously. Last night, we had decided it would be best if Luke stayed with Dad until I got back. Even though his parents were still worried about his whereabouts, Luke desperately wanted to help with my dangerous mission. He already knew so much about merpeople, my mother, and my background that he was an invaluable asset to Dad and me.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Dad asked, his voice rising against both Luke's and mine.

"Yes, I'm sure." I allowed myself to melt in his embrace as he hugged me close.

"Be safe," he murmured. "I love you."

My heart went out to him. "I love you too," I said softly. Then, with a deep breath, I stepped away and walked to the shoreline. I dipped a toe into the icy-cold water, and goosebumps immediately sprouted on every inch of exposed skin. I was clad in a mere tank top and shorts because it was easier to swim in light clothing. And I had to be prepared to swim fast in case a mob of angry merpeople decided to chase after me while I attempted to rescue Mom.

The thought was dispiriting, so I shook myself out of my trance and focused on the shifting gray water in front of me. Somewhere out there, Mom was waiting for me—somewhere beyond these foaming waves, out in the still deep of the ocean.

I turned around to face Dad. He looked awfully grim compared to Luke, who smiled and gave me two thumbs up. I laughed and turned back to the water. Here goes nothing...

I ran straight towards the first wave that came my way. Jumping over its foamy crest, I stretched out my arms and dove smoothly underneath the surface. The water was biting cold, but I soon grew used to it as the transformation took place. I quickly shimmied out of shorts before my tail engulfed my legs. Then, breaking through the surface again, I flung my shorts onto the wet sand.

"Hang on to those for me!" I called.

Luke laughed, but Dad gave me a skeptical look. Only when I flicked my tail above the surface of the water did he break out into a wide smile.

"Good luck, Rayne!" he called. "I love you!"

But I barely heard his cry as I dove underwater and began my swim to the current. My entire body buzzed with adrenaline. I was thankful for the rush, because I needed to stay on high alert if I wanted to avoid any unfriendly merpeople. If the mermen had somehow ventured on shore to kidnap Luke, then they might be stationed near the coast again. Fortunately, I sensed no presence in the water around me until I neared the entrance to the current. I could barely make out two silhouettes in front of the cave, their flukes swishing back and forth in the dark water.

My heart began pounding. Had the mermen figured out that I had used the current? Maybe they posted two guards in order to keep an eye out for me. I slowed down and floated precariously in one spot, not sure what to do. The silhouettes weren't moving, so I could only hope they hadn't sensed my presence yet. I was about to turn around and make the roundabout swim to Mom's cave, but then I realized it would take much longer. Time and energy were of the essence.