Chapter Three

"So where were you yesterday?" Kimmie asked as soon as I slipped into the women's locker room.

"Oh, nowhere," I replied vaguely.

Kimmie raised her eyebrows.

"Well..." I shimmied out of my clothing to reveal my sleek racing suit underneath. "Actually, my dad took me on a short trip."

"Really? I wish my parents would do that," she said wistfully. "Where did he take you?"

"Oh, you know, for a drive in the countryside. Nothing special." I grabbed my swim cap and goggles, wondering if I should tell her the rest of the news. But no—that would only cause unnecessary drama before our meet, and I couldn't do that to Kimmie. Besides, how likely was it that Dad and I were going to move all the way out to Shady Cove? I didn't want to stir up any false anxiety.

Despite justifying my explanation in my mind, it still felt wrong leaving out the details. Kimmie and I had been best friends since we were in elementary school, and we usually shared everything with each other. I winced and was about to change the subject when Kimmie spoke again.

"I still can't believe you missed an entire school day just for a drive in the country. I mean," she clarified, "I'd rather be anywhere else than at school flipping through textbooks, but why did your dad take you out of school yesterday, of all days? Coach was surprised that his star swimmer actually missed a day of practice. It's unheard of."

"Yeah," I murmured, my thoughts elsewhere. I remembered how Dad and I had driven through Shady Cove, glancing at the quaint little beach shops and watching the gray-blue water seawater hurl itself against the base of the Redrock Cliffs. Long, winding trails snaked down the bluffs to the benign cove where the town had got its name.

The "shady cove" actually was quite shady, as it was situated partly underneath an outcropping of cliff. Looking back, I realized no one had been splashing in the water or lounging on beach towels—the stormy weather had driven everyone indoors.

After observing the cove and the vast enormity of Redrock Cliffs, Dad and I had grabbed a snack at the Shady Cove Café. We had sipped hot chocolate and nibbled on cookies as the storm outside gradually worsened...

"Rayne?" Kimmie's voice shattered me out of my thoughts. "What's wrong—are you nervous about the meet?"

I shook myself out of my reverie. "No, I'm fine. I was just thinking."

Kimmie gave me a worried look before looping her arm through mine. "You're going to do great, as always," she reassured me. "Nobody can beat the lightning-fast Rayne Bennett!"

I forced myself to smile as Kimmie paraded us out the door and into the bright sunlight. The storm clouds had passed overnight, leaving everything smelling fresh and clean. It was a beautiful day for swimming, and as soon as my eyes landed on the sparkling blue water in the pool, my mind immediately kicked into racing mode. I was eager to jump in and get moving, to feel the cool wader gliding past my limbs, to reach out and stroke—

"Good morning, Rayne!"

I turned and saw Coach Davey striding towards me. "'Morning," I greeted.

"Hey, where were you yesterday?" he asked casually. "I was surprised when you didn't show for practice."

"My dad called the school. We had some family business to take care of."