Chapter 4

The minute I wake up on Friday, I can feel something is different. I can't tell exactly what it is; today just has this shining quality to it. I flip over to look at my bedside clock. 8:30 a.m. Only 10 hours until my date with Benedict. I climb out of bed and walk into the small bathroom that is connected into my room. I stare long and hard at myself in the mirror. This is the one time that I am glad I don't have hair. I would have a complete bee-hive with my hair if I did with the amount of sleeping I didn't do. I rub my knobby, bald head and try to figure out how I am going to be beautiful. I keep staring at my face in the mirror and suddenly, I can't handle it anymore. I sink to my knees, weeping to myself. I want to think that I just have these episodes because of the cocktail of meds that are coursing through me, but I know that that isn't the case. Sometimes, I just have this attacks of hopelessness. Everything just seems to be taken from me and broken before my eyes. I just don't know what to do. It is at these times that I wish my mother was here. It feels like a great river is coursing over my cheeks.  I feel a tapping on my shoulder. 

"Leave! Just leave me alone. I don't need anything right now, thank you," I mumble through the river that courses down my cheeks.

"I think you do, Campbell." I look up at the sound of a  caramel voice above me. It is a new nurse, a man. He is a tall man, with brown curly hair. He is wearing a plain pair of green scrubs, but somehow he seems familiar to me. He gives me a smile and sticks out his hand. "Come on. Let's get a cup of tea to calm you down.  I am shaking as he pulls me to my feet. He sticks out his large hand and I stick my frail one in his. He steers me carefully to the elevators to take us down to the cafeteria. The river has subsided somewhat, but small tears still leak out of my eyes. 

"Who are you? I don't remember seeing you around the hospital before," I ask him softly. I am too embarrassed of another one of my episodes to face him.

"Well, I'm new here. Call me John."

"How did you find me in my room?" I ask him. This John person has this arresting quality about him.

"I heard crying, and I wanted to make sure you weren't in pain. That's my job, you know," he says with a laugh. The elevator doors open with a hiss and he leads me out to the cafeteria. I hurridly try to wipe away any trace of my breakdown from my face, but John stops me. 

"It's okay to cry somtimes, Campbell. Just don't make it an all-times."

He seats me at a little table in the corner. I absentmindely stare at the TV while thinking about Benedict, my date and John. Something is strange about him. I am not attracted to him, but I keep staring at him. I think back to Benedict and try to keep a clean mind. I need to wash up, find something cute to wear, put on a little makeup, try to seem engaging. I need to call Harper. She will know what to do. 

John comes back to the table and hands me a steaming cup. "You usually seem like the breakfast tea type, but I think you need something a tad more fruity." I take a small sip and smile. 

"Thank you, John. I love Mango Madness tea. Descanso sells it and it makes the store smell amazing."

He smiles again and proceeds to ask me about Descanso. Although I know he is trying to distract me from my meltdown, I don't care. It helps a lot. I sit with him for a half hour before I excuse myself to ask Harper to come over. Harper promises to be over in an hour. I hide away in a small atrium in Pediatrics to read for a while. I keep hoping to see John again, but I never do. I need to learn more about him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Holy makeup, Batman! Cammy, you look absolutely beautiful."

I giggle and do a turn for her. Harper decided on a pink flowered skirt for me with a silver blouse. I topped off the ensemble with a sliver wrap for my head. I used to wear wigs but they just looked funny on me. 

"Do you think Benedict will like it?"

"Are you serious? He will probably pass out and if he doesn't, I will knock him on his ass so that he does!"

I can't help but laugh again. It feels good to be happy like this. The hospital has permitted me to be out tonight as long as Benedict knows to be careful with me. I look over at my clock. 6:20. "Benedict should be here any minute, Harp. You want to stay?"

My cousin's mouth flaps open. "Once again, are you serious? I would have to be dumb as a rock not to stay! I need to remind Benedict of a few things, too." With that, she heads off to the bathroom to clean up a little bit. I grab my iPod and find "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand. It is my go-to date song. I walk up to the full length mirror and start my awkward choppy movements that I call dancing. I close my eyes and let the music move me. When the song is over, I hear a deep laugh that could only belong to Benedict. I open my eyes and sheepishly pull my earbuds out. "Hi Benedict."

"Hello Miss Adrian. I was not aware that we were going dancing tonight. Would you like that?" 

"I think my kind of dancing is best done behind closed doors, where no one, ever can see me," I reply. Good. I'm getting comfortable with him. This is a good sign. 

He smiles. "I was orginally thinking of taking you to see a movie. What sounds good?"

"Umm, if you would be willing, I have been dying to see the new Thor. You probably weren't expecting that from me," I say quickly when I see suprise flit across his features. 

"In all honesty, Miss Adrian, I completely expected it from you. I would love to go see it. Tom told me about how much fun he had shooting it."

"Wait, Tom? As In Thomas Hiddleston?"

Oh, God. I look apologetically at Benedict. "Brace yourself."

"What? Why would I, oh."

Harper comes flying out of my bathroom. "AHHHH! 1. Benedict Freaking Cumberbatch is here. 2. He knows Tom Freaking Hiddleston. 3. I offically can't contain myself."

"Come on, Harper. We talked about this. You were going to be calm. You were going to be polite. You were going to be normal," I whisper to her as I make her sit down to avoid a full on fangirl barrage. 

"I'm sorry, Benedict. She is just, ahh.."

"Not to worry, Miss Adrian," Benedict says in a reassuring voice. He sticks out his hand to Harper. "Hello Harper Hartnell. You must be Miss Adrian's cousin." Harper stares at him blankly. And keeps staring. 

"Benedict, let's just go. She will be incapacitated for a little while," I say, deeply embarrassed by her. 

"No, Cam, I'm fine. Wonderful to meet you, Benedict Cumberbatch. Be good with my cousin or I will kill your beautiful face," Harper says robotically as she continues to stare at him. 

"I will, Harper. See you around." Benedict extends his arm to me and I take it with a smile. With a wave to Harper, we embark into the cool night. 

When we arrive at the theater, we buy our tickets quickly and sneak in. We slide in and take seats at the top row as the trailers are playing. Benedict leans into my ear and as trailer for some crappy romantic comedy plays. 

"Now, Miss Adrian. I don't want you to be alarmed or flustered if someone comes up to us. It happens often when I am out and I don't want to frighten you."

"Oh, Benedict. Don't worry about it. I almost expect it, big film star like yourself," I say with a smile. The other moviegoers leave us alone for the movie and I am grateful. Halfway through, I feel Benedict lace his arm around my shoulders. In a flash of boldness, I lean my head into his chest. I have never done this on the first date. I feel his quick heartbeat and I sigh contentedly to myself. This date was worth the wait. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long chapter hooray! I thought the Benebell date was very cute. Sorry I made it short. Deal with it. Intro to new character! John will be a reoccuring character. I am wiling to take suggestions. Once again, comment, share, like, vote, kiss, hug, fart, giggle, all that jazz. I added a video to "Take Me Out" for your listening pleasure. The song just makes me think of a date. I don't know. Keep on reading! There is another chapter waiting for you!

I added a picture of David Tennant because I imagine him as John. Sorry he looks like Prince Charming but it is the only picture I could find that wasn't funny looking. I think he is perfect for John.