Epilogue

Epilogue

Reprogram 10

"Scarlett Giovanni," Estel reads from the bowl. A girl with black hair in a pixie cut walks on stage. She looks about fifteen or sixteen, and very confident. Estel, the escort, makes Scarlett and the boy, Peyton Shelby, shake hands. Peyton is about seventeen and has brown hair that just touches the bottom of his ears. Scarlett and Peyton are ushered into the Justice Building, and I follow them with Nara, the male mentor from our District. He won three years after me.

We wait an hour while the tributes say good-bye to their families. Coriander comes to sit with me, holding my hand. She knows how the Games remind me of Cato. If I can help it, I don't talk, except to Cori and Axel. Axel has gotten married, to a girl named Arusa back in District 4. They are expecting a child in three months. It is the 84th anniversary of the Hunger Games. Coriander and I hug. "I'll be back in a month," I say. "Axel will be there, so don't worry about me." She smiles.

"I won't." We board the train, and Nara, Estel, and I eat lunch. We'll be in the Capitol by nightfall. Scarlett and Peyton join us later, and Scarlett seems eager to begin her training for the Games. I am not eager to begin training her. Most tributes in the past 10 years have been quiet and subdued, nothing like me. Only one made it into the final eight, and she was killed by a bear in the Eightieth Games.

We reach the Capitol, and people crowd the train station. Estel leads us out and into the Training Center. Scarlett and Peyton's eyes are big as they take in everything. I smile, although it's cruel. They get to enjoy this. This will be their lifestyle for the remainder of their existence. Either they die in the arena, or they become Victors and this luxury becomes common for them.

They go to their floor, while I go to Axel's. He is waiting for me, arms open for a hug. I haven't seen him in a month. We make trips to visit each other's Districts. I hug him, and we sit on the couch to recap the Reapings. Nara does this with our tributes, so I don't feel guilty for ditching them.

From District One, a pair of blonde, pre-prepared tributes fresh out of the Academy. From District Two, a muscular blond boy who reminds me of Cato-- his brother, and a small twelve-year-old girl. My breath catches in my throat when I see him, and I almost start to cry. Axel rubs my shoulder. From District Four, a tall boy with an Afro and a tan, brunette girl. Axel makes some comment about how his tributes are 'natural Victors', and I think about how Cato was a natural Victor. Too bad he died.

Scarlett and Peyton are Reaped from District Seven, a pair of fraternal twins from District Nine are Reaped, and some huge, burly tributes from Ten. We turn off the TV. The tributes are meeting their stylists, getting ready for the Tribute Parade. I live in my memories for the rest of the day until evening, when we go down to the street level for the ceremony.

Scarlett is dressed as a squirrel, and Peyton is an acorn. It takes all I have not to laugh. Nara doesn't even try, letting his loud guffaws fill the small space. Scarlett gives him a dirty look and climbs up in the chariot. Peyton follows, and we go back into a little room with the other mentors to watch the Parade.

District One is eating up the attention, of course, as well as District Two. The boy from District Three falls out of his chariot. He's as good as dead in the arena. District Four is dressed as mermaids and working the crowd up.

Scarlett and Peyton come along, and, surprisingly, the crowd seems to like their ridiculous getups. When the Parade ends, we go back into the launch room to greet our tributes. Not shocking, they want to get out of their costumes as quick as possible. We go to our floor and eat dinner. We discuss their techniques for the arena. Peyton says he's good with a mace. I almost gag when he says that.