Reprogram (Hunger Games Cato/OC)

Reprogram 0+1
Prologue

As I looked at the stalemate in front of me, I frowned. One will live. One, not five. The boy I love, my best friend the strong Careers, and me. Four will die, and I will not let things go without a fight.

Chapter 1
The horn sounded. I sprinted into the cornucopia, and grabbed a backpack, two axes, and a hatchet. I put the hatchet in the backpack and flung my arms out, hearing the axes cut the air with a satisfying whoosh. A crack sounded behind me, and it was another tribute who had stepped on a twig. I wasted no time burying my axe in his back, almost severing his spine.

I looked around for my ally as I pulled my axe out. The boy fell to the ground, and I spotted him. My ally, Axel, the boy from District 4. He grabbed a packet of knives and slipped one out. Axel hurled it into the back of a tribute close to him. He retrieved it and sliced off another tribute's hand. She howled in pain and collapsed to the ground as he chopped off another limb. Axel liked playing with his food, if you'll pardon the expression. I spun around when I felt the knife in my upper arm. He pinned me to the ground, the muscular boy from Two. His knees ground into my thighs, but I felt no pain. He gazed into my eyes and I his. Those clear blue eyes were so beautiful...

No. I am Hazel Xaccian, the fearless, powerful girl from District Seven. I don't feel anything for anyone, romantically. I bucked my hips, surprising him and unbalancing him. I kicked him off of me and grabbed my axe. I slashed at him, leaving a clean cut on his cheek, so clean he didn't start to bleed until about a second afterwards.

Jumping to my feet didn't take long, and I darted into the heart of the cornucopia. I grabbed some knives for Axel and another, smaller axe. I ran back out to see the boy watching me. I just turned my head and sliced off the arm of the tribute nearest me, the boy from District 8. He howled, but I silenced him by slicing a deep red line across his throat. He gurgled in his own blood for a few seconds, then he dropped to the ground.

I saw a girl trying to run away. She was almost in the woods when my axe caught her in the legs. She screamed out, and I raced over to her. I'd hit her squarely in the back of the knees, and she was gushing blood. I had to release some tension, so I made many shallow slices and gouges in her back until she sobbed and begged for mercy. I then deepened the cuts and finally buried my blade in the back of her head. She fell still. I think she was from District 9. I whirled, hearing someone behind me. It was the boy with clear blue eyes, the only one who was able to sneak up on me.
"You killed her. Nice work."
"Thanks," I said. I began to feel a throbbing in my arm, but that was it.

"Do you want to join us?" He asked me. "The Careers, I mean." I shook my head and said,

"My friend and I already have an alliance."

"You aren't hearing me." He placed his arms on the side of my head, backing me up into a massive oak. I sliced his side, and he winced but didn't release his hold. He grabbed a sword from a sheath on his hip. He pressed the tip of the blade into my knife wound, which still held the knife. He growled.

"What about now? Do you want to join us, or die?" I summoned all my strength and swung the axe at his side, deepening the wound. I slipped out from under his arm.

"Axel!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. He turned and looked at me, and I ran towards him. Then, huge arms picked me up from behind, and the boy from Two held his sword to my throat.

"Now you will do what I say, or I will slaughter you like you killed those tributes." I gulped, but did nothing. "Good. You're learning." He put me down and marched me in front of him, sword still at my throat. I gripped my axe, waiting for my opportunity. "Don't," he warned me. "Don't, because you may be able to get a few lucky shots, it will always be me who gets you." Axel saw me from across the cornucopia.