Helitak Daze - Chapter 14

The Fire Management Officer, as usual, was going through the field updates and plotting the latest fire movement. Cody was always in early, especially when there were active hotspots. Kat surveyed the map and noted wind direction and speed. The map confirmed her fears, she looked to Cody.

“I’m sorry, Kat. We aren’t going to able to stop the fires. Go home and pack what you can. You should have a couple days, depending on the weather. David and I cleared out the back corner of the hangar for you. There is enough room to store all of your belongings.”

Tears welled up, but she refused to let them fall. “I appreciate that. Is there anything I can do while I’m here?”

“David is waiting at your place to help you. I have a fresh batch of hotshots who’ll be out this afternoon to do some of the heavy lifting. Cathy has a cabin waiting for you. We had some cancellations, as the “Summer of Fire” stories are scaring some people off. You can stay with us as long as you need.” He gave her a hug and sent her home.

Her head pounded. She always knew this was a possibility. No matter where you lived there were natural disasters. She chuckled, except South Jersey, the place she had run from. They had a little of everything, but with the exception of a few floods, nothing was ever devastatingly bad. Now she would watch her dream home go up in smoke. At least she had time and wouldn’t lose everything.

David was already at work when she got home. Her totes still marked with the rooms that were packed in them, only a few short years ago. Her overnight bag with her essentials was left on the bathroom sink, but he had packed the rest of her cabinet and linen closet.

He opened his arms to her. She hugged him until she felt better, then stepped back.

“I’m really glad you are here. You’ve always been my best friend.”

“Kat, everyone loves you. You have lots of friends, wait until you see. Where do you want me next? I’m guessing you’ll want to campout here as long as possible.”

“You can do my closet and bedroom. It will be the easiest. I’ll start on the kitchen and fragile stuff. Think you can handle the entertainment equipment?”

He laughed. “I’ll even take it home with me, if you want?”

“Ha ha. You have been dying to get your hands on that TV.” Kat thought of the cabin she’d be using at Cody’s ranch. “You know what? You can borrow it until I have another place to live.”

Kat cleared out her spice cabinets and cookware, only leaving what she would absolutely need for the next couple days. Looking at the glassware, she wondered what she was going to do, as she had nothing to wrap it in. She heard a truck pull up outside. Cathy, Betty and Patty were unloading boxes and bags of newspapers.

“Give us a hand girl, we ain’t got all day.” Betty dumped a box in her arms.

“How did you know I needed help?” Kat couldn’t believe her luck, She thought she’d have to do this alone.

“I thought that would be obvious. We all look out for you, Kat. We were just waiting for you to need us for a change.” Cathy replied. “Cody did tell you, you were moving in with us, right?”

“Yes, if you are sure?”

“Stop. You’re family, there is always room. Now, put us to work.”

Kat worked with the women to wrap and tape boxes of glassware and the few porcelain and china figures she treasured. They chatted about everyday things, ignoring the cloud hanging over their heads. It was a beautiful home, but it was the love and attention that made it so. Kat could rebuild somewhere else. She knew, she’d never talk the NPS into rebuilding her cabin. It was her dream home, but she had money saved and would find something else.