Cutters, Druggies, and Alcoholics

Apparently characters who cut, does drugs, or drinks alcohol, even though this is obviously self-destructive behavior (thus should be considered as flaws), are complained about.  Yeah, I know there are some writers who don’t do their research about why people do these things and what harmful effects could happen to their character and the people around them, but this complaint is complained about so much that it has started a mass paranoia of every writer’s skill and talent.  It’s become an automatic thing to point at a character that cuts and says, “Ugh, not another emo!”  I’ve caught myself doing that—reading that a character cuts, roll my eyes, and then is apprehensive about the character throughout the story—and I know it’s wrong because this character usually has his or her reasons, but even if this writer didn‘t do their research and made cutting, drugs or alcohol seem like it‘s no big deal, I wouldn‘t tell them to just have the character not do these things.  The writer at least attempted to give these characters flaws, so give them credit where it’s due and tell them how to make it better and real.  First, let’s discuss the meaning of “addiction.”

When you hear the word “addiction,” what do you think of?  Drugs and alcohol are the typical responses, but some people can also think of hoarding or gambling as an activity that can be addictive.  Cleanliness is another answer especially if someone knows a person with germaphobia and OCD-like behavior and obsessions with cleaning; however the truth is that you can become addicted to practically any activity or any substance.  Even water can become an addiction.  Addiction is derived from Latin for “enslaved by” or “bound to,” and the simplest way I can define the possibility of something becoming an addiction is: anything or any activity that causes pleasure or the desired “positive” effect for the person.  Note that I quoted the word “positive.” 

Obviously drugs and alcohol aren’t positive, but for those people who are under the influence, such as alcohol, it makes the person not care.  It makes them feel like whatever problems that they have just don’t matter while they are under the influence.  In fact, even functional alcoholics that have jobs and can take care of their family don’t view their drinking habits as something bad, but it is.  The alcohol, besides obvious liver damage and other health issues, causes an emotional detachment from their loved ones, and that hurts their ability to make new relationships and even keep old relationships.  They are isolating themselves even when they are enjoying a TV show with their children.

So, yes, despite what every person who smokes marijuana tells you, even weed can be addictive to somebody, even if doctors “recommend” weed for your pain or whatever health issues that you have.  Pharmaceutical drugs can addictive, and that’s why some people need a specific prescription.

Of course not everyone will become addicted to something even if the statistics of something being addictive is against the odds of the person.  It depends.  You’ve probably heard of people being addicted to the internet or videogames, and yes, some people are addicted, but not everyone who spends a lot of time on videogames or the internet is addicted—they could just very much enjoy these activities.  In order for someone to be classified as addicted they have to feel that they have to do these things even when they are aware of the health, social and emotional risks, they have withdrawal symptoms when they try to quit, they give up other enjoyable activities or relationships for this one thing, they make sure they have a good supply that will last a while, they may steal for this substance, or may risk their lives while under the influence (such as drunk driving), they feel like they need this substance or do this activity in order to solve or get away from their problems, they’re usually in denial of their addiction, they do this activity or consume the substance in excess, they feel that they have to hide it, and they can have financial difficulties because of this.  People who just enjoy something can quite or take from it with no regrets or feelings of loss, while a person who is addicted feel that they can’t quit or, if they do try to quit, end up having withdrawal symptoms and are anxious to get back on this substance or activity.